Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The road to Gluten Free

This journey to learn about being Gluten Free has been very interesting.  I ordered two books (after much research) that I thought would be easy to read, full of information on getting started and helping me determine if I may be gluten sensitive or not.  I've already finished one and half way through the second.  It can be overwhelming if you let it.

I want to at least do it for 30 days and see if I can tell a difference or not.  I saw my PM doctor this morning and discussed with him.  He tired to let me down easy. ( he could see the excitement in my eyes ) He was honest with me about patients who have told him they thought they found the answers to all their ailments only to be let down with no changes.  He said it definitely can't hurt me to try he just didn't want me to believe it cures everything it claims to.  

We talked about my upcoming scope and my struggles with the reflux and gastritis.  He asked me if I ever tired a medication called Limbrel 500.  Matter of fact I had.  Unfortunately, not for long enough to tell if it would work or not.  Not covered by insurance full price was in the $200 range.  Limbrell is a medical food and works by reducing swelling and providing pain relief.  At the time I was using only NSAIDS for pain relief.  This was pre back surgery in 2009.  My rheumatologist was hoping this would work better for me.   I haven't been approached or thought of trying it again since that time.  I'm game though.  I do however want to talk to my rheumatologist and GP to make sure it is ok with everything else I take.  I totally trust and respect my PM doctor, but prefer to have another opinion on adding this to my list of medications.  

Another concern I have is starting this medication and starting to remove gluten from my diet at the same time.  If I get some relief I can't be sure which one it is.  Another reason I want another opinion from my rheumatologist on both aspects. 

I made the call to WW's today to cancel my subscription.  I have use of the online tools until next Tuesday the 27th.  I want to take some notes and jot down some recipes I've seen that may still come in handy.  I mentioned the books.  The second one I'm really into right now is simplified and complicated at the same time.  She breaks in into sections to read what you thing you need to know.  If you want more info it is there for you but the basics are in the beginning of each section to get you started.  




Each day I get more into the book I discover something else I live and deal with that could be caused by a sensitivity to gluten.  One of the things she gets into that she welcomes you to pass over if you think it doesn't pertain to you is readers with ADD/ADHD, Autism and Mood/Behavior.  She believes there is a possible relationship between Autism and Gluten Sensitivity. Why food affects mood.  I was surprised yesterday with an expert on Dr. Oz going over a 3 question quiz to help you decided if you should be tested for ADD/ADHD.  In the end he stated another thing that should be tried is going gluten free.  He'd been diagnosed long ago and recently tried removing gluten from his diet.  He said his brain is much calmer and he never felt better.  An added bonus he was happy about was that he lost same weight along the way.

It's almost as after my little let down at my PM doctor visit I really needed to hear another professional say it's worth a try.  The import thing is I keep an open mind and don't get my hopes up to much yet another time only to be disappointed that this is not the answer to being free from chronic pain either.   Some real work and studying is being put into me getting ready for this.  If anyone tells you "it's no big deal" or "it's so easy",  in my opinion. they are wrong.  If you plan to do it correctly with no short cuts or cheating you have homework my friends and readers.  I'm determined to at least get through 30 days and see how I feel.  

Here is a list of some of the things related to gluten sensitivity or Celiac Disease

Allergies
Fogginess
Bone and or Joint Pain
Fatigue
Fibromyalgia  
Depression, irritability, listlessness and anxiety
Trouble with Glycemic Index
Acid Reflux 
Dermatitis Herpetiformis 

This list continues on with plenty more.   These are just a few that relate to myself.

Lastly for this post, my children (grown up children) gave me the absolutely perfect gift for Mothers Day. A Pandora bracelet!  I was SO surprised.  I can't wait to start adding to it.  I've already made a trip to the mall to get a book to make a wish list.  I'm a huge bracelet fan.  I always have one on.  Not much on necklaces, but always a bracelet.  Even when I'm dressed down I just don't feel right without one.  I'm happy to know they have plenty dangle choices.  I had no trouble finding ones I liked.




I'd like to say hello to a reader who just went through her trial with a SCS.  She had some really nice things to say about reading my blog.  God Bless her for reading though my bore and complaints.  In some way it was helpful and that is my entire purpose.  Best Wishes to you and I'm here for you anytime you have any questions or just need some support.  Hang in there.  Better days are ahead Dana

Full of H.O.P.E (hold on pain ends)
Theresa


No comments: