Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Meet A J

8lbs 14ozs 21in of Gods love for us





 


Let me start by apologizing for being away so long.  Today will not be anything about me, but about our newest bundle of joy.  My next post I'll update you on what's been going on with my "ailments".  They are a big part of what's kept me away from my blog.  Thank you to friends and followers who have emailed and messaged me to check on me and why I haven't been blogging.  


Friday January 24th was a very high anxiety day for me.  To start the weather conditions here in Baton Rouge were not normal for us.  We had freezing numbers with some precipitation and that equaled a mess for people who are not used to driving in these conditions.  

I had appointments for OT (the elbow) and PT (the back).  At the same time as my second appointment my daughter was at the doctor having a follow up ultrasound.  Baby girl wasn't moving satisfactory to doctor's liking on the Tuesday before.  She wasn't going to let B go another week without rechecking.  I was a nervous wreck while there at therapy.  The weather had my pain scale up and I was fretting the weather outside.  Everyone coming in after me said it was only getting worse and the car windows were icing over within their visit. That told me mine was for sure since I had already been there an hour and a half.  

I had plans to have my granddaughter who lives out of town to come for the week end because we all knew that my daughter would be delivering any time now.  I figured it was her last time to come for a few weeks since Nonna would be helping out with my "new" granddaughter.  Her maw maw and I had been watching the weather and texting back and forth before my appointment.  It wasn't looking good.  The interstate closed then a bridge for her and myself that had to be crossed closed.  

With all of this going on I was a nervous wreck and had both of my therapist worrying over me.  They are the greatest.  If you live here in Baton Rouge and need PT please let me give you there information.  This is my second go around there and I've been other places and there is no comparison.  The entire office including the front office is full of compassion.

I got a text from B saying AJ passed her movement test but barely.  She was not waiting to see the doctor which was not in the plans so of course we both worried briefly.  Shortly after she text me back and said they would be inducing on the Monday.  January 27th.  It hit me, we now know her birthday.  January 27th 2014.  

I got the sad face from my daughter on her text.  She wanted to go into labor on her own.  She had to be induced with P which made her labor harder and of course being your first it took so long.  She really wanted to deliver natural but it just wasn't in the cards for P.  Now with this news I'm sure that was the meaning of the sad face.   Pitocin induced contractions are different from your body's natural contractions , in strength and effect.  I'm sure that flashbacks were already in her mind of P's long hard labor ending with an epidural.  

When I was ready to leave therapy one of the aids had to walk me all the way to my car because the parking lot was iced over.  If I hadn't held on to this strong gentlemen it would have been like trying to ice skate to my car and I KNOW I wouldn't have made it.  Both my front and back windshield had iced over.  I sat for awhile with defrost on and thankfully was on my way slowly out the parking lot soon after.  

I talked to A's Maw Maw on the way home to update her on B and we discussed meeting in the morning.  Still no way to meet, due to iced bridges and closed interstate.   We did get to meet up later Saturday morning.  Although still very cold the rain cleared and the sun melted the ice.  She was one happy little girl to know that even if for a shorter time she could spend some time with Nonna and Poppa.  She was very curious about Aunt B and how she was. When was baby girl coming?  She loves her cousin P but very excited about having a girl cousin.  A has already planned what she wants to teach baby girl when she meets her.  A understood that at her next visit her new cousin would be here and Nonna promised her she would get to visit.  


A with her friend A2
6:30am Monday rolled around fast.  Once I got word she was settled in a room I headed to the hospital.  I'm grateful I live very close to the Womans Hospital.  During her stay I made some drives to and from hospital on icy roads.  When I arrived they were starting her Pitocin and her pains started quickly.  It was so hard as her mother to watch her go through the labor pains once they got really intense.  At one point I couldn't help cry for her.  I just laid across her bed and prayed for things to move along quickly.  Myself, her mother in law, baby girls Nannie and of course her supporting husband were with her too.




Thankfully things moved along quickly.  Well, easy for me to call quickly but compared to P it was.  By 10:30 she was at a 9.  They called the doctor in, nurses started scrambling and B was in transition.  No turning back, she did it!  A calm came over her for a short period then a few pushes, along with such pain in her face it scared me, and baby AJ was here. 



Minutes before delivery

We were all in awe over our new pretty big, blessing.  After daddy cut the cord they gave her straight to my daughter.  I can't begin to try and tell you how it felt to see my daughter hold her first girl skin to skin immediately after birth.  She was beautiful even without being cleaned up. 

This was the second time I witnessed the miracle of birth.  I can never thank my daughter enough for letting us be a part of it.  She was such a champ.  Hearing her tell the story to visitors after you could tell how worth it it was for her to deliver natural.  She had experienced both and said she would do it natural again if they were to have another.  I told her I'm a little scared how fast it may go on third child.  She didn't even look like she had a baby several hours later.  My daughter is very blessed to have a wonderful husband and a very loving and helpful mother in law.  It was just as hard for her to see B in pain.  We were just so happy for her in the end that she was able to accomplish her goal.  


Right before they unwrapped her for B

B had the normal 48 hour stay.  AJ gave us a scare in the early morning the next day. (Tuesday)  She ended up in the transition nursery, then on to NICU from there.  She definitely gave my daughter something to write about in her book.  B knew just what do, didn't panic and called for help right away.  I just regret for her that she had to experience the scare alone. 

My daughter was released Wednesday evening but AJ had to stay another night so mom stayed on the sofa in NICU with her.   In the end she was just fine.  The scare we had did reveal something with her little heart that they needed to know about.  She will have a follow up with the cardiologist next month, but they expect everything to be all clear by then.  

On Thursday they got to go home and begin life as a family of 4 now.  P loves his little sister. He's doing great with her.  Checks on her periodically and then on about his business.  He's so helpful too.  Already knows what we need before we do when changing her diaper.  :-)




P meeting little sister for the first time
P home with AJ



















On Friday AJ had her first visit at the pediatrician.  She was so good.  She just let her doctor do her thing.  The only thing she didn't like was undressing and redressing.  Everyday she seems to look a little different.  It's been such a blessing to be around to help out my daughter and see the wonders of the first week of life.  Lets face it, I'm 49.  I remember a lot about my children but not so much about the first week of life.  What really amazes me is how everyone thinks she looks like someone different.  We've heard like her big brother, her momma, and 3 different people said she looks like her Nonna.  Imagine how that made Nonna smile and melt my heart.  What a blessing.  Three grandchildren all special in their own way.  A, my first.  Something very special.  P, the only boy and my daughters first child.  Then AJ, my 2nd granddaughter but my daughter having a daughter is something special in itself.  I love them all equally <3.


4 days old
6 days old



I'm home today for only 2nd time since she was born.  I decided I would do nothing else but laundry, clean up pictures on my computer and this post.  It was time.  Now that I've got this done I feel like I will be back into a routine again.  I will be so happy to see some warm weather come and have the pool open again.

In April my mom and I are taking a cruise together.  We've been saying for a good long time we wanted to take a trip together.  All to often we talk about doing things and never make them happen.  I'm glad to say we are, and there is no long car ride or plane ride involved.  Some warm weather is an excellent perk too!

A note about AJ.  That is not her name or what anyone calls her.  It is her initials of her first and second name. A beautiful name that I love more every day I see her.   As with everyone else I respect their privacy and prefer not to use full names.  

Thanks again for your understanding through some difficult times.  My pain level with my back, elbow and fibromyalgia has been off the chart through these winter months.  I'm hoping to be getting some relief soon.  There is rain coming this evening so it was a great day to just take it easy and get some blogging done.  I hope to catch up on some of my favorite blogs I follow next.

Full of H.O.P.E.
Theresa

No comments: