Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Pray for Newtown

I've been thinking for days I needed to take the time to get back to my blog.  Every day something would prevent me from getting to it.  Nothing much has changed with me and my issues with my back so I'm not even going to go there.  Still having problems with my stimulator but I've decided to get passed the holidays and deal with it then.

My hearing was this past Monday.  It was quite an experience.  It was raining here.  Pretty hard, with strong winds.  I was in a skirt ( we were told to dress nice) with flats.  I had a rain coat on and D had his supersize umbrella covering us.  We had to park a block away.  By the time we made it into the court house my back side was wet and my shoes were squishing with water.  Getting through security was time consuming.  My stimulator was running so I'm assuming that's what triggered it on me.  It made me a little nervous because then he used a wand and I thought it would shock me or something.  I survived, no shock.  Then it was D's turn.  It took three tries before he passed clear.  The last culprit was his belt.  

We were sent to the basement to go to our assigned room.  My attorney was still with the hearing before mine.  I was actually happy because by this time it's 10:15 and we were supposed to be there at 10.  We were, but had some those delays.   Around 11:00 we went into a small room with just the attorney, myself and my husband.  He asked me some questions while looking over all my paper work.  He also explained to me who would be in the room with us and what would take place.  

The hearing itself took around 30 minutes.  I was so happy when the judge said she didn't have any other questions for me and I could be excused.  My attorney stayed behind.  Of course when I came out my husband wanted to know how things went.  I said it seemed to go well, but I wasn't sure.   Soon my attorney came out and told us he'd be with us in 10-15 minutes.  He took the case that was before mine into the first room we were in to go over their case with them.  After they came out he called my husband and I in.  He said, "congratulations, you've been approved for disability."  I wondered how he knew this.  I assume that was the topic when I left the hearing room.  He took time to go over a lot of information with us.  Gave me some paperwork and phone numbers for different sources of advise we may need.  He also gave me his cell number and told me not to hesitate to call if I had any questions.  "I've been doing this a long time.  Don't just ask anyone who wouldn't know."  "If I'm not the right person to answer your question I'll give you the number of the best to do so."

I'm still kind of in shock over the hole ordeal.  I never saw myself even 5 years ago having to go on disability and not be able to work.  My husband kissed me and said congratulations.  I was tearing up.  I told him I didn't look at it as a congratulation on something good but something sad.  Obviously, I'd rather have heard...Congratulations we've found a solution to your pain.  You can be cured.  It is what it is though so I'll make the best of it and be happy that the disability will at least improve my quality of life.  I need to see the letter come in the mail before I feel sure it's final.

Enough about that.  Since I first started listening to the news Friday @ 10 I've been completely glued to the TV wanting to know as everyone did how something so horrible could happen to such young innocent children.  It's so hard to even comprehend that an elementary school has it's doors locked at 9:30 and anyone who wanted to come in had to be cleared and buzzed in.  That information alone is scary to me.  As every bit of information poured out I felt every emotion you could feel.  When my husband came home from work I was in a angry state.  OH I went on a terrible rampage about guns and the kind of rifle this unstable young man used. 

Frist thing Saturday morning I was right back at the TV to see what new information have arrived.  It was on all day Saturday and I couldn't move from the TV.  I felt like I'd lost my own children too.  Our President said tonight to the families that the entire nation is grieving along with them and he was so right.   It's not that I enjoyed watching this kind of thing unfold but I felt like I shouldn't be doing anything else but praying for these parents and the children they lost.  Also the children who survived and their parents who have to live through the memories and return to school this week. 

The statics that have been told during the coverage of this horrible act of violence are just alarming.  13 mass shootings in 2012 alone.  On Black Friday 157,000 guns were sold.  There are more gun stores in the United States than there are Wal Marts or Mc Donald's.  20 kindergarteners, 12 girls and 8 boys and 7 adults.  I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this.  Losing you child would be hard enough but to know they were at school where they are learning and growing?  They should be safe from strangers and evil people at school.  These innocent children were shot at close range.  Some as many as 11 rounds.

I could just go on for ever.  I can't begin to tell you how passionate I am about this.  Ask my daughter, I've been texting her all week end because she doesn't watch the news.  Unfortunately at an early age we have to teach our "children" how to react in this insane type of situation.  I may have spent to much of my time consumed with this but I learned a lot.  Things every parent who sends a school should know.  Some of the little children were so brave and their teachers were exceptional in know what to do.  Putting there self in front of the shooter to protect the children while loosing their own life.   True hero's.  I don't see a day anytime soon that this community will loose my daily prayers.

I had to take time out of my nose stuck to the TV yesterday to get ready to take a little drive.  My niece graduated from LSU on Friday.  My brother and sister in law were hosting a party for her Saturday night.  No matter how I felt ( like I shouldn't be celebrating anything) I knew she deserved some recognition for her hard work and accomplishments.
We had a good time.  Good company, good food and a delicious cake.  Yummy.








Last week end my granddaughter was with us.  We went to a birthday party where she had a grand time.   On Sunday we went to the Christmas parade and met up with my daughter, her husband, grandson and more of my son in laws immediate family.  There was a wait, but it was worth it.  The kids had a great time.  They caught so much candy and trinkets that we couldn't even hold the bags.  









Friday I spent a good part of the day finishing up some Christmas shopping.  Today my husband and I went to Wal Mart.  It was absolutely insane in there.  I managed to get everything on my list to start making some treats this week at my own pace.  My husband, with my help, finished his lists for his nieces too.  I did some more wrapping this evening so not much of that left either.  We'll be going to see my husbands family on Sunday.  I'm feeling pretty good at where I'm at this Christmas season.

After a long battle with multiple illness' over last 8-10 years my great Aunt passed away at 8:55 tonight. One of my grandfathers sisters.  Her husband and of course my mom was with her to the very end.  May she rest in peace.  Born March 11, 1919.  Age 93.  She was the last of 13 siblings.  She had a twin brother and they were the youngest of the 13.

Hug your children a little more and a little tighter.  

God Bess,
Theresa

  The things you take for granted someone else is praying for. 

1 comment:

Kate said...

"congrats" on winning your disability case. So glad you didn't have to go through a long and drawn out fight for years like I hear of in some cases. Hang in there!