Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A New Year and New Hope


I can't believe it is 2013.  I was 18 when my first child was born. In 1983. Age 21 for the second in 1986. Not recommend, but after the infant/toddler years I started to feel less stress and more freedom.  By the time the second graduated high school I decided it wasn't so bad after all to have had my children at such a young age.  I was just starting my forties and I had friends my age who had preschoolers.  When we moved into 1990 it seemed like so long ago that I was in grade school and even high school. Then came the millennium. Now here we are in the teen years of the 19th century.

So what is my New Year resolution?  To work harder on bringing Joy into my life.  To worry less.
To take one day at a time and not worry about everything that is ahead.  Last but not least, to remain hopeful that there is still hope for improvement for my back.

Our Christmas: We went to visit my husbands family on the Sunday before Christmas.  My husbands parents live in an assisted living home so it was nice to have them there for the day with us. The following day, (Christmas Eve) A came to visit.  We went riding Christmas eve night to look at lights.  She really enjoyed that and so did we.  It's been awhile since we've done that.  A wanted to take some pictures so I took some for her and let her take some herself.  She did pretty good!



Mom & Pop 3 sisters and a brother 
Sister & Spouse
Sister & Spouse




That night was rough for A.  She came with her pulmo-aid for breathing treatments and several medications.  We didn't miss anything but she still had a terrible night.  Up a lot durning night and coughing keeping her awake.  Christmas morning we stayed home and enjoyed a quite Christmas morning.  After gifts D and I both did some cooking to bring to my daughters home for dinner.  A was so excited to be seeing Aunt B and Uncle M  cousin P and most of all her daddy.  She picked out some pictures Aunt B took of her to put in a frame for her daddy and did her best at wrapping it herself.  She was so proud to watch him open it.



We had a nice evening, enjoyed dinner and of course the babies loved opening all their gifts.








Can't tell you how much I love this boy and girl!

 We made it home at a decent hour and got all of A's med's and breathing treatment done.  Another rough night.  She didn't get much sleep and coughed up a lot of mucus.  Not enough though.  She didn't have an appetite and didn't seem herself.  After her nap she felt really warm to me and she had 103 fever.  Time to get right back to mommy.  We threw everything in the car and drove to Lottie to meet her mom so she could take her to doctor the next day. 

The following day her fever spiked to 104.  Doctor said bronchitis.  After a week of antibiotics, medications and nebulizer a follow up x ray still showed a lot of mucus still there so then a round of steroids and we're now waiting to see what the next x tay shows.  She has her appetite back and no longer choking at night.  Just some mild coughing durning the day.  She came back this previous week end and it was so good to see her feeling better.


She said her Aunt B taught her to put her hand her hip like this <3


Our New Years:  New Years Eve P came to spend the night with us.  My daughter and her husband went to the Chick fil A bowl. ( sorry to mention that sore subject ).  He entertained us as usual.  That boy says the funniest things.  The bad news was he did not like the loud noise of fire works.  Second bad news, he wasn't feeling well.  Stuffy nose that was driving him nuts.  After the game we tried to settle and watch the New Years show to ring in the New Year.  The fireworks and the stuffy nose = no sleeping for P.  It was well after midnight before he went to sleep and I snuck some vics under his nose.  He woke up several times durning the night.  The next day he slept 3 hours for his nap.  I had to wake him up to go and meet his maw maw.


The next day, New Years Day was my birthday.  Add on another year.  No big deal.
2 more to go to "pass and ugly" as my mamma says.

I'm glad to get back to a normal routine again.  As hard as you try November & December can be tiring and stressful for anyone.  For me, it means added pain.  We've had a lot of rain for several days.  When it hasn't been raining it's been wet and damp. Those conditions make every thing worse.  I promise not to be away so long now that things have settled now.  My next post I'll fill you in on where I am with my stimulator.

My weight: Don't know how I pulled this off but from Thanksgiving to New Years I only gained 2 pounds back of the weight I lost.  I do not enjoy shopping so I did a lot of treat making for the special people I wanted a little something for.  A few neighbors, mail lady, some of my doctors and of course family. Even sent a package of treats to my mom.  D's family loves the turtles I make so I made a batch to bring there.  I also brought treats to B's house Christmas day.  So.... a lot of sweets in my face.  So hard to not taste and lick the spoon and bowl when making!  D liked helping me with that also. The good news is the sweets are all gone, and so is my 2 pounds.  I've been riding my recumbent bike more than getting a walk.  Especially with the weather.




At the start of this post I mentioned bringing joy into my life.  How?  To start, here is my new mantra below to repeat everyday until I believe it.  That may not happen soon, but it's a start.  What's important is that I'm going to try.  Things are not any better with my son's situation.  It brings added stress and worry to my chronic condition.  I remember last year praying so hard that this would be the year for things to turn around for him.  It didn't happen, they are worse.  So I'll start praying again a new prayer for him in 2013.  I've done everything possible to help him.  Every time I think , this is it he wants things to be this way. it doesn't take long to start feeling guilt.  His daughter needs her daddy and he needs his daughter.



Joy is the settled
assurance that God
is in control of all the 
details of my life, the quiet confidence
that ultimately everything is going to be all right,
and the determined
choice to praise
God in all things.
Kay Warren


Good night....
Theresa















No comments: