Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Don't believe everything you read

Of all the things yesterday I was trying to clean the grout on a specific area on my kitchen counter top. There is a pretty bad build up there and it's been driving me crazy.  So I jumped on pinterest to find out what the most popular method it. Clorox toilet bowl cleaner with bleach ( meaning it has bleach in it already) seemed to be the most pinned.  Lucky for me I had some of that around here.  I was thinking as I started this would be great.  It's in a jel form so not to messy and I have plenty if it works.  Instructions were to fill in grout lines and let sit for 10 minutes.  Then use whatever tool, toothbrush or scrubbing brush, rub it in and let it sit for another 5 minutes.  Nothing.  So I repeated a second time.  Nothing.  

Back to pinterest.  Ok, maybe the have a different type of grout than I do.  Next....2 cups water, 2 cups vinegar and 3 tablespoons of baking soda.  Turns out I felt like a scientist in a lab doing an experiment.  Water, vinegar fine then I put first of 3 tablespoons of baking soda.  Number one went it fine but when I added the second it was like an explosion.  It came bubbling over the 4 cup measuring cup I was using and all over the counter.  I don't remember it saying it would do this.  After this experience I had two cups of liquid left.  I tried it anyway.  I won't bore you with the instructions this time just tell you end result.  NOTHING.

Back to pinterest 3rd time.  Now I see a lot of pins using just baking soda and bleach.  3/4 cups bs and enough bleach to make a paste.  This looked like it would work.  D was hanging around by this time being curious.  "why don't you just try using straight bleach?" he asked me.  Um, would you like to take over this project?  I'll let you at anytime.  Needless to say that was a waste also.  Nothing at all. Then I tried D's idea of straight bleach.  A few areas got a little lighter.  Even with D's elbow grease it didn't budge.  Geez what a stubborn stain.  When I want to get something done I'm determined.


before

after trying 4 methods
So D asks, "why don't you try the Bissell Steamer?"  I replied, "none of those chemicals could take off that stubborn stain and you think steam will?"  It hasn't been out of the box since we moved 15 months ago.  He went off to piddle outside and I went for the step ladder and grabbed the Bissell.  If this works I wanted to hurry and try before he comes back in. LOL


No luck at all on the counter top.  Hate to say I told you so, but I did.  Just because I don't give up easy I decided to see if it made a difference on the floor.  I've never even dreamed of getting that cleaned.  Not by me anyway, maybe a professional.  I picked one of the worst areas in case it worked I'd be thrilled to have an area looking good. (dreamer) Once I had filled with distilled water and waited for it to say GO I got started.  The second I started I immediately say brown liquid coming up on both sides of the grout.  What? This can't be.  What's the difference?  I kept going until I ran out of steam.  Me and the Bissell.  I couldn't believe it.  I took some pictures but they just don't do it justice. 

before
after



It worked especially well where there was a lot of build up in front of stove and refrigerator. When D came back inside he definitely noticed the difference.  I knew I couldn't just go around doing the entire kitchen but I sure wanted to.  Sitting on the floor is the worst.  So I settled for doing a round then getting up to do laundry and other things and coming back every now and then to do another round.  In between I went a took a walk to stretch.  I'm paying for it but I think it's well worth it.  I'm still so puzzled as to  why it won't work on the counter top.  I tried it on my island.  There are a few spots darker than others but not like the area that bugs me.  Didn't work their either.  I give up on the counters but not the floor.  I intend to complete this project. Over time obviously.  D said he'll do some for me.  





A last note on the Bissell, if you have one on it works awesome for the build up in the corners of your cabinet that you just can't get to with a rag.  I've used a q-tip and various other things to get in those notches.  Never again.  This is quick and easy. It also just melts away any build up around your quarter round.  Please please don't sit on your kitchen floor and start looking around.  You'll be in shock!



As I was inserting the pictures for this post I once again tried to insert side by side.  Iv'e accomplished the task before but it was strictly by accident.  I googled it and it was a little detailed for me to figure out right now but I promise I'll work on it so you don't have to scroll forever to finish reading.

Have a blessed and peaceful Sunday.
Theresa


   The things you take for granted someone else is praying for.

,
photo1-1,photo1-2

2 comments:

Martha Brown said...

I've had my spinal cord stimulator for 2 1/2 months. None of the programs are helping my neck and back problems. Every time I turn it on, both hands feel like thousands of pin pricks are there. Last week, the PM Dr. sent me to the hospital to have X-rays made of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions. His nurse practitioner saw me on Fri. and said, "Now I see why you are hurting so much!" My Dr. wasn't there, so she talked to another PM Dr. who told her that I am to leave the SCS turned OFF until I meet with the Boston Scientific rep this afternoon. The X-rays showed problems with one of the leads moving where it shouldn't be. I've been complaining for weeks that the pain was agonizing! How can they get that lead back where it belongs without CUTTING me again??? I'm praying that these vain imaginations will leave my mind! TTYL...Martha in Georgia

My Spinal Cord Stimulator Journey said...

Hi Martha; I understand how you feel. I've avoiding going because I already know that is what he will want to do, cut again and move the leads around. I have no assurance if we do that things will be different. I to had an x ray to check things out but mine were still in place. With your case and easy for me to say...if things were good in the beginning I think an additional surgery would work. Possible healing not as tough as first time. Where is your battery? Please let me know the out come. Special prayers to you. Theresa