Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Monday, November 5, 2012

Always something....

First and foremost please go and exercise your right to vote tomorrow.  This is such an important election.  Not just the Presidential ! 

For the last three weeks I've had this stabbing pain in my stomach on the right side right under my ribs.  It started out mild. I was just noticing it on and off during the day but nothing to even mention.  Week two I said something to my husband and he guessed maybe a pulled muscle.  It's worse when I try to sit or recline.  Lying flat or standing it goes away to where I hardly feel it.  No, it's not gall stones I had that out at age 21.  While they were in there they took out my appendix so it's not that either.  

Last Monday I realized it had been three weeks and maybe I should have it checked.  By Thursday evening it was so intense I emailed my GP my symptoms and asked if I should see her or maybe my gastroenterologist?  She said to come and see her to rule out some other things first then if she didn't have an answer I'd go there.  I knew in the back of my mind she would tell me to come in and see her.  So I got on the web site and made myself an appointment for Monday (today) morning.  I couldn't wait it's making me miserable along with my back.

For some reason my back was particularly worse this week end.  I spent a lot of time in bed.  Between back and the pain in my ribs I didn't even feel like getting on computer or reading.  On Friday night I started having shortness of breath.  I told myself it was just anxiety about the abdominal pain.  I didn't mention to my husband because he thinks I torment myself with worry already.  When we went to bed he could tell that I couldn't catch a good breath.  It was if someone was sitting on my chest.  This added condition just agitated me more.  

Both symptoms continued all week end.  A couple of times to the point that I thought I'd ask my husband to take me to ER.  Especially at night.  It's so much worse at night.  I could just scream right now it's so intense.  I was so confused if one had anything to do with the other.  Of course I got on the internet putting in my symptoms only to add to the apprehension of waiting to find an answer. I found on a medical site that some studies showed a SCS causing gastrointestinal effects severe enough to warrant the discontinuation of stimulator.  The side effects seemed to be due to an autonomic nervous system imbalance created by the stimulation of the spinal cord.  I tried to forget that I read that.

So I saw the GP this am.  I was there an hour and 45 minutes and left with an EKG, Chest x ray and my flu shot.  ( I wanted to add sore arm to my list of complaints).  All ok, so she had two conclusions.  In 08 I had to see a gastroenterologist by request of my ENT because she said she saw signs of reflux in the back of my throat.  So after the visit he ordered a scope and it showed I had a mild hiatal hernia.  Since I had no symptoms he told me he didn't see any reason for me to take medications.  If you start to have symptoms come back and see me and we'll start you on some medications.  With that said, my GP wanted me to make an appointment with him. (that's where I should have went first). 

I have an appointment next week.  She also recommended I discuss the abdominal pain with my back doctor being that I've been having complications with my stimulator.  It's so hard to get in to see him in a decent time frame so I called and talked to his nurse.  She said she'd check with him and ask him if the stimulator could be causing this type of pain and he said yes it could, to come in.  After getting a second opinion with Mr. R I decided I'd wait until I see gastro doctor next week and see what he says.  I don't find the abdominal pain as a symptom on any of sites I read about hernia's on.  I did however read just what the gastroenterologist told me that many people have the condition with no symptoms at all.  I just hope I can stick it out until next Wednesday :-(


He looks so grown up


Isn't he just the cutest grandson ever? I can't believe my grandchildren are three already.  I miss the baby stage.  You don't feel so needed anymore.  They can do most anything on their own now.  

Hanging in there....Theresa



The things you take for granted someone else is praying for.

No comments: