Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

What's new today....

After I came home from voting I was feeling so bad that I just couldn't see me making it to next Wednesday to see the gastroenterologist.  It was getting harder and harder to breath.  As soon as 8 o'clock rolled around I called the Digestive Health Center to see if there was any way they could see me sooner it was becoming an emergency.  The scheduler said she had just hung up with someone who canceled for the next morning @ 8.  Great, I'll take it.  I had an appointment with my rheumatologist @ 10:30 so that worked out perfect.

As we were watching the election coverage last night and I was so miserable I just kept thinking how thankful I was for the person who cancelled.  I just didn't see how I'd have waited the rest of the week, over the week end then 3 more days.  I'd have went to the ER for sure.  Last night and the night before I just skipped super all together,  It wasn't worth it.  Even not eating it was bad but if I ate it was unbearable. 

I woke up this morning with a very horse voice and scratchy throat.  I had none of those symptoms before I went to bed.  Just another sign of reflux I guess.  The good news was I was feeling decent as far as the elephant on my chest.  So I decided to have some breakfast.  It would be past lunch before I made it back home so I had to have something.  By the time I fought traffic and made it to the clinic I couldn't breath and the sharp pain in my ribs/abdomen was back. Everyone asked, are you ok?  The greeter at the door, the person who checked me in and took my money and the PA who asked a million questions before the doctor came in.  Yes, that's why I'm here.  When Dr. Rao came in he'd had the scoop from the PA so he got right to it.  He immediately wanted to know why hadn't I been taking any medication for my reflux.   Because I didn't have any symptoms.  I asked him when the last time I was there because I knew it had been a long time, before my 1st back surgery. In '06.  Wow I didn't think it had been that long.

I explained to him that after the scope the Dr. I was seeing at that time (he is retired now) saw no reason to put me on any medication being I had no symptoms.  Fine by me.  At that time I didn't take any RX medications.  He said just because they found a hiatal hernia doesn't mean I would have reflux symptoms.  A lot of people have a hiatal hernia and never experience any symptoms.  (I've read this also)  This didn't sit well with my ENT.  SHe is the one who referred me there to see a gastroenterologist.  She asked me to see a different Dr. for second opinion because she did see symptoms....chronic sore throat, redness and hoarseness. I'd been seeing her for years and respected her opinion so that is how I saw Dr. Rao the first time.

 He ordered that test where you drink the nasty chalk stuff and they turn you upside down and see what happens.  Fine, I passed.  No reflux.  He just couldn't stop there, I had to do this text where they put tubes through your nose down through your throat into your esophagus.  They hook you up to this monitor that becomes your best friend, like my remote for my stim now.  I had to register every time I ate and anytime I was in a supine position.  Overnight until the next morning and then you can get rid of it.  The worst part of the entire thing was taking those dumb little tubes out.  I was never so glad for something to be over. This text also proved I had no reflux problems.  So my ENT was finally satisfied.  As far as any gasto problems or reflux symptoms I've been fine since then until now. 

So here I am today with not one but multiple symptoms.  He like my GP wasn't quite sure the pain in my abdomen was part of it but he was quite concerned about my heavy chest and trouble breathing.  I told him my GP did a EKG and it was fine but he wasn't convinced with just that.  He was hearing me at my worst.   After the scope he wants me to have a echocardiogram with a heart doctor not the GP.  Great, believe or not, a have a heart doctor on my long list of doctors because my irregular EKG before spine surgery caused me to have to see one.

I filled my RX for reflux along with the new medicine my psychologist prescribed.  Take an hour before breakfast and hour before dinner.  Not working yet but hoping for a miracle so I can get through tomorrow.  I'm going to do my best to follow his other recommendations he asked of me.  Until the scope next Wednesday to lay of the coffee and no carbonated drinks.

The other at bedtime, supposed to help me sleep.  Even though I've tried many different ones with no luck, we'll see.  I'm at least hopeful.  My rheumatologist said it is used for nerve pain also so maybe if it doesn't help me sleep it will help for nerve pain!  Meanwhile I just have to deal with the side pain until the scope is done.  If that doesn't give us any answers I have to see my PM doctor to see if possibly my stimulator is causing it.  Speaking of the stimulator, I tried it today, on really low.  Keeping it low I don't really feel it in my back but it doesn't fire off the unwanted nerves and cause unwanted pain.  That's my only option until I'm willing to work with Mr. R one more time before seeing Dr. Graham for options.  (I already heard them and I don't like either)  It did seem to help a little.  It could just be the chest pain has over come my back pain.  Either way, I hope to get answers for both.

That's all for this weeks doctor visits!  Yeah, no more until next Wednesday.  Looking forward to Friday morning.  P is coming to visit me while momma gets her teeth cleaned. 

GNA, sweet dreams....its what I'm hoping for
a pain free night.....it's what I'm praying for


The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said.
Peter Drucker







No comments: