Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

++++Peace be with you Jeannie +++

I'm sure we've all experienced watching some one we love and care about leave us because of the awful disease of Cancer.  I still remember the day when I found out that a past employer/friend was diagnosed.  It was such a shock. Why her?  Why do we ask our selves that when we know everything is in God's hands, thy will be done.  She is one of your greatest servants.  Your daughter who spreads your love through mission work, leading charity's at her church and an example of two becoming one.  Her and her husband set the greatest example of that of what that truly means.  I could never list all the things this couple has done for their church, their community, and any one who comes within reach of their contagious faith, hope and love they spread. 

Myself and two of my friends worked for her and her husband for several years.  We all left at different times, but were all there for several years together.  If you've been following my blog for any length of time you know that us "girls" try to get together a couple of times a year.   Any time Ed would call for Jeannie or walk through the door he'd ask for his "Baby Baby". Just last month I posted a picture of us after writing about having dinner together the night before. ( us girls)  Her husband is a Deacon at the Catholic Church my children grew up in.  I had moved to Baton Rouge before he was ordained but over the years spending time with him I always thought he would be perfect for the job.  He is a such great speaker and leader. 

In July of 2010 Jeannie thought she was experiencing Gall Bladder problems.  Her pain became so intense she went to the doctor and discovered she had liver cancer which had spread from a cancer in her colon.  Through further testing they discovered they were many tumors on her liver the largest the size of a man's fist. (9c)  Over the last three years I've followed all of the updates on the CaringBridge site.  Each one with new news but always the same great spirit from her and her husband.  I can't even begin to tell you the strength and courage they have.  There are plenty times he had some humor in there in light of everything.

On Sunday the news came she is nearing the end.  She was admitted to the hospital to replenish fluids and more serious pain management.  Ed says she will remain there until Hospice is set up in their home and can manage her pain.  Her bilirubin has jumped from 2.1-13.1 in the past 30 days.  Normal 0.3-1.3.  The post today says she is now at 15.4
It has reached life threatening levels and they are not sure how long before consciousness is lost.  

Over the month of February and early March Jeannie and I were exchanging emails.  She had reached me about our Christmas card and then we just kind of kept returning emails.  We were trying to find a good time for both of us to visit and it never seemed to work out.  That's the terrible thing about putting things off.  Especially with people.  You never really know when the time will come that you don't have another chance to see or speak to them.  I truly regret I didn't try a little harder to work it out.  They have 3 children. Two young men and a daughter.  One of her sons is expecting their first grandchild.  Somehow in my mind I feel one life will leave but another takes it's place and for that I'm so grateful for Ed.  A baby can bring such joy, happiness and comfort to someone who is hurting.  I can attest to that.  Even though some of my toughest physical and mental days being with my grandchildren makes it easier to deal with.  They make me laugh and bring joy in my heart.

Some of my family had the good fortune to meet "The Martins" so I thought they would like to know about Jennie and where her journey has brought her.  I'd like to leave you with the last part of the post before last from her husband.  This is only a touch of the affection and love he has for his, "baby baby"


Our oncologist will run some more blood work on Monday and will have a better feel of things, but he's guessing she may be born into eternal happiness within the next two to six weeks.  

He may be able to slow down the brain confusion with some drugs but doesn't think there is much he can do about the rest other than try to manage her pain.

Fr Eric has just anointed her and continues to be a wonderful pastor to us.   We are so blessed!  Her family is traveling here from SC and FL to surround her in love and say their good-byes.

St. John's and Caring Bridge family, ya'll have been and continue to be such a comfort to us.  Words fail me.  I feel so sorry for those who think all they need is a Jesus and Me relationship.  Jesus lives in so many of us and it's an awesome family to be a part of.

Jennie wants me to tell all of you how very special and precious each of you are to her.  She loves each of you so much and will be eternally grateful for all the love and kindness you have lifted her up with. 

She is tired of being sick, she is tired of the pain, and she is ready to be reunited with Maggie and the many children we've sent on ahead through miscarriages.  It won't be good bye; it will be 'till next time.

She has been the greatest gift God could have ever given me.  I never dreamt someone could make another so complete and so fulfilled.  She is the air that I breathe.  She has made the world such a better place for all that have been lucky enough to journey through this life with her.

Now she is showing us all how easy and beautiful it can be to pass through this portal of life so many dread.  

She laughs about her jaundice and says she still has a few more shades of yellow to turn for Easter.  Jokes about being pregnant (twins or triplets?) are how she refers to her bloated abdomen.  Yesterday we had an ultrasound done to see if we were only dealing with a plugged bile duct.  No such luck, but she took it in stride and wondered if the Church crawfish dinner sale for the youth group had sold out or not!

Thank you all for your love, support and prayers.  Our lives have been made so much more complete by each of you.  Be of good cheer and trust in God's will for Jennie and for each of us.  He's got it!  It's all good (thanks, Ryan).

The luckiest man on earth for almost 35 years now!


Somebody's birthday!
             





These first three I pulled out LG&G memory box


My favorite from the journal <3

Her beautiful family

Jeannie with her sponsor child from Honduras 

This one simply titled "Lean on me..."

     If you'd like to know more about Jennie and Eddie's story visit Caringbridge.org and please keep them in your prayers.  
                                                          

No comments: