Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Friday, August 16, 2013

Surveys

When I first lost my job in May of 2011 I went crazy with some time on my hands.  Of course I started a job search right away but my life had many changes happening in those three months following.  I don't remember how I stumbled across the first survey site but I remember learning that there are so many of them and some are not for real.  You do your part but they don't do theirs.  

I wanted to do this in my spare time so I signed up for a few.  Like with anything else your name gets around and other companies asked me to join their site also.  Some I accepted and some I did not.  There are different rewards for giving your time to take them.  Some give you points based on the length of the survey.  Short surveys = small points and longer ones = bigger points.  Up to 50 maybe?  When you reach a 100 you can cash out or just let them build up.  This particular site, my first, I've earned $10 quite a few times.  You can donate to charity or have it put in your pay pal account.  On average it takes around 3 months for me to get to that amount.  I've done it in a month, sometime 2 but the longest is 3.   Last year at Christmas time I ordered some things on line and paid with my pay pal account.  Kind of made me feel like it was free!



I know $10 dollars doesn't seem like much but it starts to add up.  I don't even save mine.  As soon as there is $10 I move it over to PP and let it sit there.  Another type of company  gives points for trying products in your home.  It could be something new and improved and it could be something brand new that hasn't been on the market yet.  Here are some examples of what samples I've been asked to try:

Cake mix: 4 each, 1 a week and a survey to follow on each cake.  To qualify for completing you had to bake and complete the survey that followed each one.   Oh gosh, they were so good and I had no argument on trying chocolate cake.   After completing last survey I received a larger than normal amount of points. ( can't remember the number )  

Another time I was asked to try a new product that was being tested to see if favorable to put on the market.  Cheetos with filling in the middle.  Of course they ask you to not share this with anyone, eating or speaking of.  They were good.  My husband liked them too.  Same deal, filled out survey and received larger than normal points for a survey after finishing.    I've never seen the product on the market so I guess the responses were not positive.  

I recently broke my watch and one of the companies I do surveys for doesn't payout cash.  You earn points for prizes or gift cards.  I decided to take a look and see if I could find a watch that would be ok for everyday use.  I didn't have a lot built up but found one that I could get and it's a pretty decent watch.  Serves it's purpose, so I'm happy with it.  It is gold/silver mix with links.  I wear both, so it was perfect.  Plus it was free!  Just cost me my time.  
sorry it's blurry :-(
There were many other things to try.  One of the last was some tissue paper. lol    In the survey I said I wouldn't use this kind.  (They asked about different brands)  Turns out it was the brand I said I didn't care for.  In the end when they told me brand, the one I said I wouldn't buy, I felt silly because I gave it all good ratings.  Honest ratings, it is good tissue.  


Secret is out....Quilted Northern!
The most recent thing I've been asked to test is the new Galaxy S4 smartphone.  In the survey they asked if I'd be willing to use for one month, take a survey during use and another at the end.  My reward if I follow through is a $50 Amazon card and I get to keep the phone.  I ended up getting picked and the phone arrived on Wednesday.  Wow, what a difference from my i phone.  Apple is just so easy to use!.  A friend has the same phone and told me once I figure every thing out that I'd probably love it and not want to go back to the other.  They asked me to keep notes of questions, things I like and don't like.  There are several things I really love about this phone, but several I DON'T.

One of the first things I missed right away was my Fooducate app.  An andriod phone has the app but it doesn't have all the features.  Important ones I wouldn't want to do without.  I had to go with another and I'm not as happy with it.  I miss seeing the weight watchers points listed with other results.  It wanted to limit me to 12oo calories a day!  Are you kidding?  No way.  I'd starve.  I had 2000 with Fooducate.  I managed to get the app to let me adjust that amount.  I'm trying 1800.  Oh well.  It's only a month then I can go back to my other app I prefer.  Unless.....I decided to continue to use this phone.  Doubtful.

The last one I'll mention is a survey co that just random sends me a survey.  It always says you'll be entered in a bi weekly drawing for a large sum of money.  I did it a few times and decided I was going to stop that one.  What's the chance I thought?  Then a surprise came in the mail.  A $5 check.  It was from the survey company as a thank you.   I don't get one every time but I love being surprised by a check in the mail box.  Even if it is only $5.  I've continued to take them now and then and over the past year I've probably received a total of $30.  Not a lot of money but it's fun to be surprised.


Most recent surprise check
Hope I didn't bore you with all this survey talk.  I thought maybe some of my fellow chronic pain friends may want to look into it.  Some time I can't sit long enough to finish one but lying down I can usually get through it.  It tells you in the beginning how long it will be so you can decided if you'd like to take it or not.   I do feel however that if you don't take a required amount they will stop sending.  If you want to know some reputable ones email me and I'll tell you some names.  There are some you want to stay away from.  They cause you to get a lot of junk mail and you never get any surveys to take.  It seems when you do you never qualify.  

Have a great week end.
Theresa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey would you please send me some more information on those sites. Does it cost any money for you to start. Thanks Janet

My Spinal Cord Stimulator Journey said...

No, not at all. Sometime you are not accepted if they are not taking new people but they will email you when they are. How can I email you? Here is my email if you want to email me your address
theresatrahan@cox.net