Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Monday, November 18, 2013

Another down 2 to go


A little more progress!  I'm now at the point WW's says I've met my goal.  My real goal is 130 but according to them 132 is my "safe weight" goal.  I'm ok with where I'm at, but I'd like to get there so I can splurge a little over the holidays.

Friday I saw my pain management doctor.  We had a good talk about how things are going.  I asked him if and when my elbow is better if I can try some needling on my back.  He said it would be ok as long as she stays away from the leads going from spine to battery.  He said they should talk first.  When I go for my OT appointment this week I will discuss with the PT who does it and see if she will call him.  

My back pain seems to be increasing lately.  I think it's the weather.  If there is some chance this will help I'm willing to try anything.  Even if it's temporary.  It would be nice to have a little relief over Christmas.  

Now I can't seem to put anything in my buggy without looking for trans fat or Tertiary Butylhydroquinone.  Commonly called TBHQ.  TBHQ is a preservative which is made from butane.  It's used to delay the onset of rancidness and greatly effects the storage life of food.  You can find a lot of information just by googling "TBHQ"  You will find people who disagree but I think there is enough evidence to stay away as much as possible.  I don't think I can completely avoid it but I surely plan to try.  Here are a couple things I found in my pantry.



red bean seasonings 

crackers
I mentioned last week that D got my tree down and put together for me.  It's all arranged and has been plugged in every night.  Other than that it's just there.  My daughter and grandson came to visit Saturday.  We were going to decorate but never got around to it. We spent some time outside then had lunch.  B even did some sewing for me while here.  There is never a dull moment with P around.  A good laugh and a lot of questions!

I'm so proud of my daughter.  She is quite the homemaker.  She has already made the new baby a blanket, outfits and some crochet for her hair.  That girl can accomplish anything she puts her mind to.  I can't seem to get past the dishcloth with my crocheting.  


finding ways to entertain himself!


fixing my favorite shorts

My granddaughter was supposed to come too but she became sick during the week so it was best for her to stay near her doctor.  I got to ichat with her last night.  We read some books and she sang some songs for me.  Thank goodness for technology.  Her grandmother there where she lives sent some pictures to share with me. Her preschool went to a pumpkin patch.  Appears they had a grand time.
shared by "Maw Maw" :-)
 I have actually bought a few Christmas presents. I saved the toy ad and both of my grandkids have circled toys they would like for Santa to bring them. This is a big help for Nonna.  I'll bring it with me and hopefully that shopping trip will be successful too!

I can't believe Thanksgiving is less than two weeks away.  I'm already getting anxiety about being prepared.  It will all be fine and I have to remember that.

It's getting late.  I'm closing to try and get some rest tonight.  I've been having trouble sleeping through the night with my back and arm hurting together.  It's been slow but I can finally say I'm showing signs of improvement.  I've increased my number of reps the OT has me doing at home. The majority of the pain is at night again.  

Ha, I just completely forgot to hit publish. I signed on today to read some of the blogs I follow and see my post in drafts.  Felt like I needed to explain why the days may not make sense!
Have an awesome week.  Watching DWTS can't wait to see who wins next week.

Not giving up H.O.P.E.
Theresa



BACK SAVERS

Bend at your hips not at your waist.

Avoid lying on your stomach.

Lift heavy objects no higher than your waist.

Sit down to put on socks, shoes, pants--don't bend over
Get down on one knee before picking up
a small child or infant from the floor.

When reading, don't bend your neck or shoulders --bring
your book up to your eyes by placing two pillows on your lap 
and propping the book on top of them.



No comments: