Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Trans Fat...look for it!

I'm so thankful today was a better day.  I accomplished a few things this morning and went to a Santa's workshop in the afternoon.  When I got home D had the tree out for me and actually put it together.  Now during the week I will work on spreading out the branches like I like them and add some lights.  

I'm trying everything I can to get my arm better.  I decided to try my tens unit I used to use on my back before the IPG was implanted.  It really feels good.  Wish I could sleep with it on!

The main reason of my post tonight is to share with you how good my home air popped popcorn turned out.  I used 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and the serving size listed on bag.( 3 tablespoons ).   I can't tell you the last time I popped popcorn on the stove.  What made me do it today you ask?  I admit I have an addiction to popcorn.  Pretty much every night I have a mini bag of the microwave type.  No butter, just the plain.  3 points on WW's.  What better snack.  Quick, easy and full of fiber.  

A week ago I suddenly had a problem with the microwave type.  I was watching Dr Oz and  he was educating his audience about trans fat.  Even though many food products promote  on the front of the label "no trans fat" when you turn it over and read the ingredients you read things like "adds a dietarily insignificant amount of trans fat per serving" This is an example of Jolly Time 100 Calorie Healthy Pop.  On the front of the box it says, "0g TRANS FAT in bold letters.  I stopped by the store on the way home from the work shop to see if I could find some other popcorn without any secret ingredients I didn't want included.  Dr. Oz noted that major health organizations have concluded that there is no safe amount of trans fat.  Listing a lot of the foods it is still found in today microwave popcorn was one he noted.  It worried me because I eat it regularly so even if it's a little it's a lot bad.  

The FDA has made a preliminary recommendation that to eliminate artificial trans fat from processed foods.  He feels this move will most likely save thousands of Americans lives from heart disease, the number one killer of both men and women.  This really made me want to be more aware.  I started reading all my labels in the pantry.  Turns out I could NOT find a popcorn that was safe to buy.  I bought a bag of popcorn kernels to pop at home.  It turned out delicious!  I'll never want microwave again.  I really thought it would be a pain to pop it.  It took 4 minutes and the coconut oil gave it such a great flavor.  I added a tiny bit of salt.  I can't say enough how flavorful it was.  I dirtied a pot but other than that it was not mess or problem at all.

So..FYI be aware of your labels friends.  Take the time to read ingredients.  Trans fat leads to all kinds of problems.  I don't know about you, but I surely don't need any additional.  If you'd like to read more about the subject go to Dr. Oz's home page and type trans fat in the search bar.  

I keep resetting my walking goal over and over.  I'd meet the time limit I set and some of the time I haven't walked in the entire period.  This time I made it!  Tomorrow was my dead line ( I wasn't even aware of that ) When I walk I usually walk a mile or a little over.  I've been trying to get to two for some time.  So hurray for me!  I made it today!




That's why I never give up H.O.P.E.
Theresa

No comments: