Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Friday, November 1, 2013

On the lighter side



Again, I'm late with this.  Yesterday's blog was just to long to add this in.  No loss, but I am happy with a hold.  I'd still like to get to my goal so I will have a few pounds to spare over the holidays.  Right now I'm back in the clothes I wanted to get in so that is a positive thing happening when others are very challenging right now.

I have a new obsession.  I've been eating sweet potatoes for quite a few months now.  I'd never liked them in the past.  When I started counting calories before WW's I decided to try one since I hadn't in years.  Every since then I have one at least 3-4 times a week.  Earlier this week I was browsing through some WW recipes and saw sweet potato chips.  I changed up a little bit.  I used coconut oil instead of EVVO and I omitted the salt.  I sliced them to thin the first time but I have it down to perfection now.  They are so tasty just from the coconut oil.  For me, no need to add anything.  They were very tasty plain.  I don't add butter to my sweet potato but I do sprinkle cinnamon for a little spice and cinnamon is good for you.


sweet potato chips


Yesterday I made some muffins that you've heard me talk about many times. I've had some people ask me the recipe so here goes.  I change them up a lot by using different fruit and some time a kick with some semi sweet chocolate chips.  So yummy for breakfast.  Tastes like your having a dessert.  I discovered on Pinterest but the real credit goes to "Greenlitebites" Adventures in healthy eating.




Here is what you need.  I tend to get everything out and measured before I even start to put together.  Long ago I was dumping all kind of ingredients in a bowl and got to the last one and oops, I didn't have it.  I've never made that mistake again and this is one of the ways I prevent it.  My brain is easily overwhelmed by to many ingredients so this is how I roll.  I tend to shy away from any recipe that looks complicated.  
  1. 3 cups of old fashion or rolled oats
  2. 3 mashed bananas (the riper the better) notice how dark you can let it get in pic
  3. 2 eggs
  4. 1 tbsp of baking powder
  5. 1 cup of almond milk (any will do, I use the unsweetened vanilla)
  6. 1 tsp of vanilla extract
  7. 1 cup of blueberries, raspberries or your favorite berry
  8. 2 tbsp of Nestle chocolate chips
RASPBERRY/CHOCOLATE CHIP LOWFAT MUFFINS/ Preheat your oven to 375.  You can't really mix it wrong but here is my order.  I mash bananas well with a potato masher.  Then I mix the two eggs (room temp) add vanilla extract in the egg mixture and add both to bananas.  Since the vanilla almond milk is unsweetened I add 1 packet of stevia to it.  ( I tired this after baking a few times and it makes the muffins a little sweeter ) Add the baking powder to the dry oats and mix well.  Next, I add both milk and egg/banana mixture to oats and mix well.  I like to cut my blueberries in half.  A personal preference I guess.  This was my first time to use raspberries and I cut in 1/3's.  Add chocolate chips then slowly fold in berries gently so they don't smash.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or when edges are brown.



The point value for each muffin is 5 points if you use larger muffin tin based on serving size of 9.  (that is the amount the mixture makes)  If you use the smaller muffin pan that has 12 without the chocolate chips the point value is 3.  ( I've only made smaller muffins with just berries so I do not know the point value of smaller muffins if you add in chocolate chips).  Make sure you eat one while they are warm!  I let them cool and put each in a sandwich bag then in a gallon freezer bag.  When I want one for breakfast I take it out the night before and put in the fridge.  



I had an OT appointment with W today.  She is the best!  Such a genuine person and always encouraging me.  Even though I'm impatient wanting this to be over she is able to help me see I've had improvement and help me stay positive.  Unlike some therapists she gives me her complete attention.  That really means a lot to patients.  If you live in my area and find yourself needing a great OT please contact me for her information.  You'll be so pleased you went there.

Our little Ninja


Our Strawberry Shortcake
TGIF my friends!  Waking each day with H.O.P.E.

No comments: