Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Surgery day for Dallas

I know many of you are enjoying this cool front coming through.  It was 60 this morning.  I step outside to sit on my patio with my cup of coffee.  (Something I do as often as I can)
I love to watch the birds eating and just listen to all the other nature sounds around us.   I know this time of year always effects me.  I know to expect it but doesn't mean I have to like it.  I'm sure this has played a part in not getting through this "flare up" thats been around since Sunday.  

Last night I had some time to go back and read some older posts from the blog I mentioned previously.  A patient with a SCS.  Not only any SCS she has the same one I do.  I wanted to go back and read about after surgery.  I didn't find a lot on that but so many statements she made was things I say exactly.  Number one being a particular post where winter was setting in and she mentions how the cold weather really effects her pain.  Yes....I'm not crazy.  There were many other things.  My mind is frazzled this morning but I can't tell you what it's like to hear someone else say things that you feel and complain about that even your doctor doesn't understand or can explain.  Being in the pool was one.  She mentioned the day the doctor released her to begin therapy again and how she felt so "normal" in the pool.  Yep, thats me. Sorry Shari, hate you feel these things dear. 

 I have so much to try to done before my therapy at 2 and blogging was not one of them but what the heck.  It was on my mind.

This morning I had to drop Dallas off for his little surgery that we've known had to be done since the spring. It is so strange around here without him here.  He has or had a small mass in his belly near his left hind leg.  I knew I'd be nervous but it was a bit worse than I thought.  I had hoped D would be with me because sometime when we go there he gets so excited over the other dogs I can't hold him because the strain of him pulling away is quite uncomfortable.  There were two large dogs in the front area and another small dog.  Of course Dallas has little man syndrome and thinks he can boss any big dog around.  As I'm trying to maintain control of him they have me fill out forms. Forms that are very similar to when I go to the doctor.  Questions about IV fluids and giving blood.  He was having a cleaning while under sedation and another form for if we want extractions done if anything is bad and vet decides necessary to come out.  Decisions decisions.  I knew D should be with me.  Then they hand me a black sharpie and ask me to circle the mass.  They must have thought I was so stupid by the look on my face.  I understood completely the task asked of me but my mind was thinking I can't pick him up or you kidding?  He weighs 20 pounds but a 20 pound child and a 20 pound dog are so different.  Dallas does NOT like to be picked up.  

She was nice about it when I explained why I couldn't bend over and pick him up.  She had a helper come out and hold him for me while I tried to find the mean ol mass causing all the mess.  I couldn't find it to save my life.  She was holding him under his front legs hanging straight down.  Now, this is worst way to hold Dallas.  He was squirming everywhere.  The best way to feel it is when he is standing on four legs and you feel under his belly.  Again I have to say I'm sorry, I'm no help.  Can't find it.  So then she calls out the nurse who'll be assisting in surgery. ( sorry, I don't know her correct title)  The lady behind the desk calls out exactly where its at.  You know, it doggie terms.  I'm thinking if you know where it's at, why do I have to do this.  The assistant found it right away and told them it wasn't necessary for me to mark, it was clear where it was.  Thank goodness.  I left there in tears.  Poor Dallas, getting put to sleep, cut on then having his teeth cleaned.  That was at 8 am.  It's now 11:05 and I just got the call that everything went fine and he is awake and starting to move around.  They asked me to call back at two and they'll let me know then if he can come home or has to stay the night.  I sure hope he can come home.  

I"m using some cream again a lot that I used to use before the stimulator was implanted.  I have a cabinet full of different choices.  Two of my favorites are Mineral Ice.  A pain relieving gel.  It smells awful but who cares.  Actually, I did when I was still working.  When I had to use it everyone asked, "your hurting today, I smell you?" The other is a compound cream that is mixed at pharmacy.  Professional Arts Pharmacy in Lafayette.  It has several ingredients including lidocaine which helps numb the area for up to an hour at a time.  I mostly use it at home.  It has no smell, but its so sticky.  It gets on my clothes an has stained them. 
Out of desperation I have used when going out though.  Not a good choice in the summer.  It really gets nasty when you start to sweat.  The other problem with it is the expense.  My portion is $50 and it has expiration date and sometimes I don't use it all before then.  And no, they can't make smaller bottle, I've asked.  

I made a call to my attorneys office even though they said they'd call as soon as they knew when we'd be rescheduled.  She told me no news yet but your on high priority so it shouldn't be but a couple more weeks.  Really?  I look outside and my pool looks so inviting but I'm sure the water is quite cold.  Last time in was Sunday.  It was nice and warm at the end of the day.  No shade so it warms up quick.  Another reason for my complaints of old man winter heading our way.  Listen up, I need more time.  Can you stall please?

D starting to work on the railings!

Looks great, he's doing such an amazing job.


All for today, I need to accomplish something other than on load of laundry and blogging.
Never know what to expect from my therapist.  She will either help me or beat me up for some wrong choices I've made.  It's ok, I like her most of the time.  I know she is the kind of therapist I need.  

Have a great hump day!


     The things you take for granted someone else is praying for. 

No comments: