Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

All clear

I started my morning with an appointment with my therapist.  It was so good to share some good news with her for once.  She was happy to hear that my son is taking some positive steps forward and has went to two appointments on his own.  We have a long way to go but at least he's stepping forward.  My therapist was very encouraging but wants me to step back and let him continue to seek the help he needs on his own.  

Next I had my yearly melanoma check today at the dermatologist.  All clear.  I'm very thankful to hear that.  I had a couple of spots I was concerned about.  I guess that just comes a long with knowing there is a possibility it could come back. 

After that, I left to meet A's mom in a town half way for both of us.  (about an hour away for each of us)  On the way back I had another appointment to keep.  Mr. R.  Met with him to work on getting one or two programs working again with no unwanted areas.  I told him that for the last three weeks I decided I couldn't deal with my battery issue any more.  I'd tell my self and my husband, "tomorrow I'm calling to schedule with PM Doc to get this fixed." I have to get over having another recovery.  Then Monday would roll around and I'd feel better and change my mind.  Two days later....awful again.  Calling tomorrow.  Put off again.  This cycle has been going on for a month.  Monday I finally called after a difficult week end.  As usually he is super swamped and I couldn't get an appointment until May 7th.  

We had an in depth conversation regarding the issue with my battery.  I questioned him about the need to have to see doc again before doing something about it.  He helped me to understand that last time I saw him I told him about it but we didn't decide definitely we would do something about it.  Today Mr. R went into more detail with me what is involved.  He said first we would try to either reposition or put in the smaller battery I initially wanted.    If it's necessary for the reposition of battery my insurance shouldn't have a problem paying for that but asking for a new battery may not be so simple.  I'll need a pre-approval for that.

Then Mr. R explained that if that is not successful he will want to move the battery site.
Of course I wanted to know why don't we just do that to start? Why have to cut then cut again if it doesn't work.  He explained that just repositioning or changing to smaller battery in same site is a 30 minute procedure including closing me up.  One cut and done.  If we change locations, he will have to reopen the incision along the spine to reposition the leads in the epidural space so the leads will reach to the new area that battery is moved to.  I have a couple of options but only like one!  I'm praying for the 1st option to work.   Recovery shorter for first than second.  Two incisions and more healing time.  Pretty much like the first surgery.  Starting over....

After all that drama was over we meet Aunt B and cousin P at the movie theater right down the street to see a movie.  It was so sweet to see them hug on their own when they saw each other and held hands walking in and all the way down hall to the theater we would be in.  It was A's and also Nonna's first 3D movie.  For a kiddy movie it wasn't bad.  The grandkids seemed pretty interested and enjoyed the 3D effect.  I can tell you A and I both were pooped for sure.  It was 5:45 by then time we made it home and I'd been out since 8:15.  ( big deal for me )

A will stay a few days with us so I'll probably update when she goes home.  Mr. R encouraged me to call back and get the nurse to see if they could get me in sooner at another location possibly.  He said if we change batteries that could possibly take some time so if possible I may need to get the ball rolling.  I can't tell you how much I wish I would just wake up and it would be gone, done, all resolved.  Not that easy in real life.



sweet cousins



Ain't I cool?



Funny


GNA Good luck with your trial Janet....please let me know how you are.  One day at a time that's all we can do.  Theresa



     The things you take for granted someone else is praying for. 

2 comments:

Donana said...

Those babies are so adoreable! I hope they can fix your battery the easy way. We both had high hopes that these implants would fix our pain when we first get them but didn't realize the constant upkeep to get them situated. It hasn't been easy for either of us but all we can do is keep trying. I hope one day they can fix my unwanted "spots" as well as your battery issues. It's tempting to get discouraged that this journey will never end, we have to keep our chin up. Everything changes, all the time.
♥Donna

Unknown said...

I went today to resign my paperwork for my trial procedure since it been over 30 days since I signed the first one. The DR was able to answer most of my questions. My biggest one was how long after the trial procedures if its a successful how long before they can do surgery to put it in permeantly, he said anywhere between a month to two months depending on the hospital schedule. So I am hopping it takes last time.i hope you get your battery problems solve.