Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Monday, September 23, 2013

Watch out for YOU!

Warning...this blog post is a big complaining post.  If you are looking for something positive to read you won't find it here!  It's a true story and other than venting I'm giving my readers a heads up of what could be happening to you too.

In 2008 I was getting my oil changed at a place I'd love to mention but not sure if I can legally say  the name of this tire and auto shop chain.  It was my second time there.  The first time was just for an oil change.  Another place had told me some months back that I needed two new tires.  I was shocked to hear this because I'd been getting my tires rotated every other oil change.  (Quite proud of myself for taking care of this too)  I'd only had them for a couple of years.  When the tire professional told me I needed these tires I told him I was shocked because I'd been having them rotated on a regular basis.   He walked me outside and showed me the wear on my tires and explained he hated to tell me this but my tires clearly showed no signs of being rotated.  He said he doubted they'd ever been rotated at all.  I was crushed.  I purchased two new tires and planned to get two more a few months down the road.   From that day forward I have been very skeptical about any auto shop changing my oil or rotating by tires.

So back to 2008 when I was getting my oil changed at this unnamed establishment I asked for my tires to be rotated also.  I get a call later to tell me that I have two tires that look bad.  I didn't doubt them but really wasn't planning to buy two new tires this day.  What are you going to do?  I told them to go ahead and put two new tires on.  The ones I bought that I previously mentioned were put on 6 months before so I figured I'm good to go now. 

I arrive at the establishment to pick up my car and as I am looking over my bill I see they charged me for a tire rotation.  What?  I question this and the gentleman asks, "didn't you request your tires rotated?" Yes, but you put two new tires on my car so they had to be moved to put the new ones in proper place.  I guess being female he thought I had a big "S" stamped on my forehead.  He never agreed they made a mistake.  He made it seem that since I was making such a big deal over it he would take the charge off.  We cleared all that up and I paid once my bill was correct.  I walked out feeling like I was not going to have a good relationship with these people.  It didn't matter I felt strongly about my decision that it was wrong to charge me for a tire rotation when I didn't receive one.

Roll forward to two oil changes later and I ask for my tires to be rotated.  Of course I reminded them it's no charge right?  "Right", he told me.  Little did they know I had marked my tires because I had a suspicious feeling about them.  Turns out I was right.  I get there and the marks I put on my front tires were still there.  No way they rotated my tires.  When I approached the counter I decided I would wait and see if there was a notation on my bill of a tire rotation.  Tried to give the benefit of the doubt.  Yep, it was there.  So I challenged them right away.  "If you rotated my tires why are the front tires still on the front?".  He looked at me strange.  Yes ma'am we rotated your tires.  See right here.  So and so initialed it.  So I told him he should go ask the gentleman if he rotated my tires or not.  He did so and returned saying the guy was on break and if I'd have a seat they'd rotate them real quick.  So I was at their mercy then.  I was so annoyed they had my car for hours and here I am sitting waiting for my tires to be rotated.  I left feeling like these people probably didn't like me very much.  I promise you it wasn't keeping me up at night.  Why would he just go ahead and rotate if he was so sure his guy did it?

The next time it was time for my tires to be rotated you bet I marked them again but I decided I would say something to them when I dropped off my car.  I had been dealing with the same man over the couple of years.  He saw me coming in and called me by name.  I spoke right up front and let him know how unhappy I was with their service and I'd marked my tires again and to please make sure I didn't show up to work undone a second time.  He gave me his word.  From then on it went the same every time I was due for tire rotation.  I made sure I said what I wanted upon arrival.  I also made it clear I would know if they did or not.  

So now we move forward to 2011 and the same chain is near where we moved in Oct of that year.  The first time I went I didn't need my tires rotated but didn't know where to go yet so I brought my car there for the oil change.  Right across the street there is a nice walking path so it was perfect for having something to do instead of just sitting there waiting.   They called me on my cell phone not to tell me my car was ready but that I need $500 worth of work.  Seriously?  I told him I wasn't doing anything today he could go over it with me when I picked it up.  He really pushed me hard on the phone so I was thinking I'd really have to stand firm when I faced him in person.  

I get there and he went over in detail what I needed done and reminded me that when people leave without having there work done the usually don't come back until the are forced to by being stranded on the side of the road.  I told him I promise that wasn't going to happen to me but I needed to have my car and wanted to discuss with my husband.  In my mind I'd already decided before making it there I wanted a second opinion anyway.  I had a bad taste in my mouth with this company.  I tired not to carry it with me, but it was there.  

There is an auto shop right down the street from us that we pass every day and they always look busy. I decided to take my car there for my second opinion.  We needed to find someone to use on this side of town anyway.  Low and behold the gentleman, who I really liked a lot, told me a couple of the things just did not exist and a couple of things could be done, but he didn't see the urgency in any immediate work required.   They were not things that would leave me stranded any where and he'd keep an eye on them for me if I was going to be returning there for my oil changes.  I really felt he was being honest with me and who turns away work in this economy?  

I started getting my oil changed there and on the opposite time that I needed oil change I'd go to the "other place" and get both.  Oil change and tire rotation.  The last time I was there D had followed me on a Friday morning and they told me they were full and couldn't take any more oil changes.  (this was 8 am in the morning)  I asked him if he meant for the full day or this morning?  He said all day.  I told him I wasn't in a hurry so he said he'd go ahead and take it but it would be end of day before they got to it.  I brought up the fact that I'd had a bad experience a couple of times at the other location and I would know for sure if they rotated my tires or not.  He said, "we'll give you a call this evening when we're done".   That was the day I spent the afternoon helping D in the afternoon with the solar blanket.  The time got away from us and before I knew it it was 6pm and I knew they closed at 7.  I called and inquired about my car and the gentleman who answered the phone claimed my car had been ready I could pick up anytime before they close.  I asked why no one called me and he said he wasn't sure he just happened to answer phone while inside, but it was usually their policy to call.  

We hurry and change into some dry clothes and take off to get there.  D asked if he should come in with me.  I told him he shouldn't need to unless they tried some of the nonsense they've done in the past.  ( i promise you if that was the case he did NOT want to be inside with me )  As we drove up on the side of my car it was so obvious my tires had not been rotated.  The pink nail polish I put on the tires stood out like a sore thumb.  I was so upset.  I could feel my blood pressure rising and I was shaking.  D came in but didn't stay long because I asked for the manager right away and told them just  what I thought of them.   You decided I needed new tires so you didn't rotate them?  I asked.  I asked for my tires rotated and if you planned to not do it I should have received a phone call asking about it.  He really had no excuse of why they didn't call but offered for me take a seat and they would do it for me right away.  I couldn't believe this.  My car had been there all day and he wanted me to have a seat and wait to have my tires rotated when I asked for that in the beginning.  

D left after a short time and I told these people just what I thought of them and their customer service.  Not that they really cared, but I told them I wouldn't ever let them touch my car again and planned to write a note on their web site stating how I'd been treated.  He, the manager, wrote on the back of his business care that the next time I was in that I could get a oil change on them!  I asked him if he really thinks I'd ever come back there much less let them work on my car?  That was the last straw.  I was done with them.  So this particular day I had my oil changed and I washed my hands of them.  I'll find another place when I'm due and it is clearly worth paying for a tire rotation before going there again.  I know darn good and well that if I need new tires they would have called and tired to sell me some.  I feel they were busy and clearly lazy.  They wanted to get done for the day. 

I agree I could use some new tires but "my place" that I trust said I have another six months to a year on my tires.  This gives me time to check around for prices and a good place I can trust.  I know this was long but I wanted to share so others know that sadly you really have to look out for yourself when it comes down to these times of things.  Your really at their mercy and trust that when they say you need something you do.  You also have to trust that when they tell you work has been done, it has.  How would we know the difference?  After leaving that day I asked my husband to look at my oil.  At this point I wasn't sure that I believed they were really changing my oil.   I am a firm believer in second opinions.  It has paid off more than once for me.  

My son and granddaughter came by for a visit yesterday.  We've had a small cool front pass through southern Louisiana and even with the solar blanket the water temp went from 96 down to 90 on Saturday.  On Sunday when we got in with the "kids" it had fallen to 88.  This temp is still very comfortable but the air was chilly.  We had a good time all of us swimming at the same time.  Nonna got a little carried away playing a game with all and I was walking backwards in the pool along the edge I bumped into the ladder.  On the left side, right on my battery!! Oh I wanted to cry ;-(  I just froze and took a deep breath.  I didn't want to scare A.  If I would had been alone I can tell you I would have screamed, cried and probably cursed!!  It started bothering me after I was out of pool and is still so sore this morning.  I just hope it didn't move any.  I can't stand the idea of any more battery shifting!  

It was Dallas' bath day so we decided to let him swim before time.  He loved it.  A loved getting to watch too.  He really seemed to like it and was very comfortable in the water.  We're just hoping he didn't like it enough to be brave and just jump in when he feels like it.  Saturday was an over cast raining day and most of Sunday was dry but cloudy.  It's beautiful and cool today.  A lot of sunshine so I can't wait to see water temp when I swim this afternoon.  


Getting some exercise
Dallas on the kick board 




Excited to go with my daughter for her sonogram tomorrow.  Checking up on baby Stevens to see how he/she is doing.  Can't wait to see what P thinks about all of this.  Also my appointment with my rheumatologist is tomorrow and I have a big list for him so I hope he has some time to spend with me.  Have a great week and I'll be back tomorrow.  I'll try to keep the complaining to a minimum.

I'm filled with H.O.P.E.
Theresa


You don't have to have a great start to have a great finish!
Joyce Meyer

No comments: