Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Oh What a Relief it is....

Since Saturday I've been counting down the days for today.  I had an appointment with Mr. R at 9 and I stopped for coffee on the way.  There was a gentleman there I had a conversation with and we somehow started talking about back pain and he was curious about my stimulator.  Oh, I told him.  You don't want to be a candidate for one of these because that means there is nothing left for them to do for you other than keep you on high doses of medication.  He said he was only in his 30's but starting to have trouble with his back.  His parents, aunts and uncles and even siblings have back trouble.  
"I'm sure I'll have it too", he said.  He mentioned a family member that never gets relief.  Uh huh, I understand.  He told me he often wonders what it must be like to never have the pain stop.  Well, I told him, you really couldn't know or understand.  The one way you could, I promise you don't want it to happen to you.  So I told him to imagine the next time he hurts himself, really hurts himself to the necessity of needing a pain reliever just think about the possibility of it continuing the rest of your life.
Enough about that.  Not a great conversation to have on my way to be reprogrammed.

Mr. R and I both were very, very late.  The interstate was shut down due to an accident and traffic was a night mare.  He text me first.  I don't know what's going on but I WILL be late.  I'm sorry.  No problem I told him.  I've been in my car 30 minutes and went 2 miles.  Seriously.  We were to meet at 9 and I made it there at 9:45 and he had just pulled up.  We went in our little secret room at the surgery center and got everything out and hooked up.  I had made him a list of all 11 programs and what was wrong with each.  None are covering?  He couldn't believe it.  Nor could he give me an answer.  Lovely had told me this would happen less and less as I got closer to 6 months and I wanted his take on it.  He said everyone is different.  I could have moved a lead just a hair in swimming and that's what caused it.  But maybe not.  Yes, at some point but he wouldn't promise 6 months it's less likely to happen but there is ALWAYS a chance of it happening.  

He said he has three kinds of patients he sees post surgery. 1)  The patient who never finds relief with the stimulator and starts not using it at all after many attempts of reprogramming. The decide to have it surgically removed. 2) The patient who tells everyone, it doesn't work. Don't do it.  I did and it doesn't help me.  It doesn't cover the area that hurts.  This patients calls a year later to complain and see Mr. R or the doctor and asked to have it removed.  They've never once called to ask Mr. R for help.  To try reprogramming.  Some patients don't get direct coverage but it still helps them to feel better by distracting the pain but obviously everyone wants it right where it hurts. 3) The patient like me, who will call Mr. R as many times as I need to to get it right.   This could be a few more times or a hundred more times.  That's his job and he always reminds me of that.  I still feel a little bad every time I text him I'm having trouble though.  

Today was successful.  We went ahead and dropped several that have never worked for me.  You see each time they reprogram they add new ones and tweak what you have.  They don't like to drop because at some point that program may be just right for you.  It takes quite a bit of time to create a new one.  It's not just a click on his machine.  There are many areas that he touches that have thousands of combinations of areas to create stimulation and when one changes that may mean the one you didn't like or feel in the right place you may now.  I asked him to drop some though because I was up to 11 and I'd have left with 16 and it takes a long time to go through each finding the one you need.  One particular one from day one only stimulated my right side so I saw no need to just leave it on there.  He explained if I drop it, all the numbers you have memorized will move up a number and you'll really be confused as to what program is what.  A chance I was willing to take.  Go for it.  We spent a little over an hour until I couldn't stand still any longer in one spot.  I had plenty to work with so I was happy and ready to go.  When I told him I had enough and was tired he said I can't let you leave with 13 it's an unlucky number.  Something I'm superstitious about.  It has to be 12 or 14.  So we got rid of another and I left with 12.  A few are duplicates of my favorites before I lost coverage last week.  If something changes again, those could be perfect again.  It's kind of crazy how it all works.  I just have to be patient and keep believing it will get better and better.   He said the fact I keep coming back tells him that it's helping and I will have good results in the end.

I made a few stops on the way home and decided to put off anything around here and get in the pool while the sun was shining.  Understand a chance of rain this afternoon.  I usually starting feeling an increase in pain after but the first program I turned on hit the spot.  Oh what a relief it is to have coverage back.  Yes, I'd love to just be pain free but this is my "pain free, pain reducer" and I'm happy to have it.

On a totally different note.  I wanted to share something with you I think is super cute.  If your a southern belle and went to college in the south you'll love this painting baby C's mom did.  It started as one for a family member in college and now she has everyone wanting one.  If you like it, I can hook you up.  lol



1 comment:

Have You Cake~On The Lighter Side said...

Love the changes you made!!! Glad the reprogram worked and you know I need the purple and gold one!!!! Hugs