Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Worry, Worry go away....

Last evening UPS stopped in front of our home.  D and I both looked at each other.  You expecting a package?  It's usually D.  He orders a lot from internet.  Many times if there is something that he normally buys anyway and it is linked to some sort of charity deal he always buys it that way.  Usually a bulk amount too.  It was an envelope that had to be signed for.  Why does that scare you when that happens?  Because you don't know what it is about.  D looked my way, it's for you.  Ugh, what is it?  Start opening, and it's a letter from St. Jude with a supplement on information for directions in the product labeling regarding my IPG.  (implantable programmable generator)   See why I say IPG?

The letter contained recommendations for charging because there have been patient complaints of warmth or heating at the implant site.  St. Jude has informed my doctor that a number of cases have been reported in which discomfort associated with heating occurred at the devise site while patients were using the Charging System to charge their spinal cord stimulator.  In three cases, patients received a burn to the skin ( one second-degree and two first-degree burns) at the implant site.  This only applies to certain models and their records indicate that I have one of these charging systems.  (oh goodie, something else for me to worry about)

I've been telling D for the last ten days that every since I bumped it pretty hard it's been darn uncomfortable.  Almost like back at beginning healing.  I've been avoiding lying on back or that side.  His determination was that maybe it broke through some scar tissue and is re-healing.   IDK but the slightest pressure and it's so sore.  He playfully tapped me there a couple of days ago and immediately said, "oops I'm sorry it's that the side"  Yes, it is and you better remember which one please.   The last 5-6 days I've been getting these zaps in the IPG site area.  Like a zinger.  Best I can explain.  Have you ever whitened your teeth and get these little shocks?  A lot like that, but a little different.

I know the two have nothing to do with each other but I have already been nervous about that.  I'm also wondering why my doctor after receiving the letter didn't check with me about this matter.  I guess, if it ain't broke, don't fix it is his attitude.  I'm not complaining, so I'm fine.  The physicians received letters months before patients went out.

 St. Jude reports they have received 325 total patient complaints of warmth or heating at the device implant site during charging for the Eon and Eon Mini spinal cord stimulations systems, which equates to 0.46% of total implants as of June 30,2012.  Some physicians or patients have requested explant surgery to address uncomfortable temperature elevations.  These reports resulted in a total of 72 explants for the Eon and Eon Mini spinal cord stimulators, or a rate of 0.10% of total implants. 

They are at present time implementing design improvements to the charger to address possible increased heating when the spinal cord stimulator and charger are misaligned or the SCS is located too near the surface of the skin.  Then they give a list of recommendations that I already follow.  I said to my husband right off the bat that I wondered if some of the patients are waiting to long to charge.  I charge every week.  Even the same night of week to keep it simple.  The IPG will stay charged up to month at a time.  If you do this, you better be able to sit still for some time to charge. Something I can't do.  It will most likely take hours, possibly up to 4.  Mine usually takes approximately 40-45 minutes.  The one time I went over by accident and it was almost two weeks it took hour and 10 minutes.  I did feel as though my skin was warm but depending on what your wearing sometime you have to put next to skin because it will not make contact through thick clothing.  

I know I shouldn't worry about this.  Quite honestly I was already worried about this other issue I was having. I was waiting to see if it just went away.  As far as this new information  I want to believe since no trouble now, that I most likely will not.  The thought of having to have an explant surgery just makes me sick to my gut.  What then?  Would I try another?  To many things for my worried little brain to think about.  Have no fear, of course I've already text Mr. R to ask questions.  He text me back a phone no to contact St. Jude with any questions regarding this issue.  I'll probably call tomorrow.

One day of work on the pool yesterday.  They got a lot done but after leaving late yesterday evening, it came a hard rain.  It's a big mess out there.  No work being done today because of that.  We've had to be patient all last week so this doesn't surprise us.  We knew if it ran into this week we'd be working around rain.  I hope I get to spend some good amount of time before it gets to cold in it because it is so relieving to my back pain.  D is looking into a solar heater.  A lot more reasonable than a gas or electric, which I would be terrified of.  It would give us another month or two longer to use pool.  I understand a liner is next after level then a load of sand is put down before they start putting everything together. ( I could have that backwards )







No comments: