Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

My Lucky, Unlucky day

As I mentioned yesterday I text Lovely last week asking her to let me know when she would be in town.  I'm struggling with my stimulator again.  As soon as I turn it up when I start to feel it it spreads every where.  Especially my stomach and a pinching in my hip on both sides.

Shortly after I published my post yesterday I heard from her.  She said she would be in BR tomorrow (today) and had some time at 3:00 if I was available.  I made myself available.  I felt so lucky that it worked out.  Not that I don't love Mr. R I just figured a different approach may help.  They have 2 different styles of reprogramming.  The last 2 times I met with Mr. R it seemed good at the time but within a few days my coverage was lost again.

She started out telling me she doesn't believe in having as many programs as I had.   It can become frustrating going through so many trying to get relief when your hurting.  I completely agreed.  I'd even told my husband it was so time consuming looking for the right one only to have none work.  She deleted all 16 and started with a clean slate.  I think Mr. R would have cringed.  He never wants to delete anything.  

I'll give it to her.  Lovely worked with me for hour and a half.  Put up with me crying.  Pulled up my x ray, called a co worker to get advise.  No matter what she tried we couldn't get it to not cut around my stomach or pinch in my hips.  On top of that most of the ones we tried, even if I could put up with that, didn't cover my back where I need coverage.  She was really puzzled especially being in month 5.  I told her I was doing much better in month 2 and 3.  The last 6 weeks have been the worst coverage wise.

Finally I just couldn't stand still any longer to continue to work. The longer I stood the worse my back hurt.  I believe she was probably ready to throw in the towel herself.  As we neared ending she said since I have an appointment coming up with surgeon that she was going to call and recommend I have an x ray before to bring with me.  She's afraid one of my leads have moved out of place.  That would be just my luck.  I know what your thinking, what does entail to fix?  I don't know.  My husband and daughter asked the same.  She recommended 2 things for me to do until I see my doctor in two weeks.

1) When I'm using the stimulator and it really starts to bother me when I'm getting the uncomfortable sensations just turn it off.  She said I'm just setting of nerves that don't need to be involved so I may just need a break from that.  She was surprised to learn that I never turn off until bedtime.  As soon as my feet hit the floor it's on and stays on until ready to go down for the night.

2) She set up a program that runs 20 minutes and off for 10 minutes automatically.  She said that may be just what I need to tolerate the uncomfortable areas for now.  I'm willing to try.  She also recommended going a day now and then with it off and see how I do until we get some answers.  That's fine, I've been living with it like that for sometime but it means increasing the pain meds again to get through the day.  That I'm not happy about.

It's been a strange evening having it off.  It's the first time since 1 week after surgery that I haven't had it on.  It just kind of becomes what's "normal" so at this moment it feels odd to not be there.  So I felt lucky last night knowing I was going to see Lovely today.  I just knew she was going to fix me up.  I was pretty bummed when I left there.  I was hurting from standing still in one spot for so long and just saddened at the thought that this might not be fixable.  I cried most of the way home.

I'll try and keep my chin up.  Until the doctor says there is nothing we can do I have to believe there is an answer.  She text me tonight and said she has a message in to talk to my doctor and as soon as she knows something she'll be in touch.  

Tomorrow's a new day.  Maybe these four new ones will at least be a little more tolerable than the previous 16.  If not, I'll listen to Lovely's advise and turn the darn thing OFF.  

GNA have a pain free and good nights sleep. Theresa

Minister:" So your mother says your prayers for you each night.  What does she say?"  The youngster replied, "Thank God he's in bed."     CHARLES SWINDOLL

1 comment:

Have You Cake~On The Lighter Side said...

I wanted to cry as I read this. Feeling sorry for you...wondering why life is so unfair sometimes. I had a rough day yesterday. The holidays are upon us. A season of thanksgiving and joy :0/ please consider coming with me to church Sunday. The preacher I told you about will be back. What have you got to loose? What if God heals you? Love u T