Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Partial Answers

So I showed up at the surgery center a little early hoping they'd take me early.  I was getting out of my car at the same time as Mr. R.  I had a seat and he said they'd come get me pretty quick.  Gosh it brought back memories.  I've been in those cold freezing injection surgery rooms so many times over last 18 months.  I had to put on the good ol gown, hat and pants just like so many times in the past.  As I was climbing on the table trying to get comfortable I was thinking I thought I'd never have to come back to this room.  

After we got the pictures we needed Mr. R showed them to me right there in the room.  As far as he could tell everything looked good.  He asked me to dress and wait because Dr. Graham was going to come in and talk with me.  So I dress and waited.  Wondering what would he have to say.  He asked me questions about the specifics about what I was experiencing.  He seemed to see a slight shift to the left in one lead but Mr. R told him it was so minor he felt like it was the way I was laying on table.  It was really hard to lay there on my stomach.  Not something I can easily do.  If you put a pillow to make it arch outward its tolerable but with no support and my back dipping its was impossible.  He ended up putting a cushion under me.  

So Doc said since I've had it off a couple of weeks he'd like Mr R to try some ideas he gave him.  I didn't like the look on Mr. R's face. (a look of , tired that it's not gonna work)  Dr. Graham said as this pain from stimulation started the nerve damage I have is really irritated.  This is is speculation I believe.  He wants me to work with Mr. R one more time this afternoon to see what he can find for me.  If we can't get anything he wants me to try turning it on then backing down intensity until I can't hardly feel it because it may still be helping and I don't know it.  The next option is to give me a steroid injection, which he'd have to be VERY careful not to hit lead, to calm things down.  You can't see swelling but inside it is.  My entire lower back is sensitive to touch.  After that, if it comes to it we'd have to go back in to try and move things around. (the leads)  I shook my head at this.  Of course 2 years ago I shook my head at the idea of a pain pump or a spinal cord stimulator.  

Mr. R had some patients to see at another office but the good news is that I dont' have to go sit for the appointment with doctor.  He said it wasn't necessary.  As far as my battery being sore still he's still not concerned at this stage of post surgery.  Obviously, I'm home waiting to hear from Mr. R then I'll drive right back where I was for him to work with me.  I hope I can tolerate it long enough for him to find something.  Wish me luck.

It has hands to help others, feet to hasten to the poor and needy, eyes to see misery and want, ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men.  That is what love looks like.
AUGUSTINE

3 comments:

Donana said...

Do you think swimming may have moved it? Geesh I hope not. I hope they can find a program for you. I don't wish going through that again on no one! Thank you for the prayers and you know I'm praying for you as well. I'm halfway through my post surgery blues.

creativesista said...

Hi... My name is Alicia I had my stimulator put in 8 weeks ago. I dont know how to feel!! It is not helping in my upper back. It helps to get rid of some of the pain in lumbar and lower back. What really gets me is not being able to do simple stuff.... when I do little stuff around house;Im quickly reminded by my body sit down. Im in pain all the time.... now Im second guessing my decsion to get stimulator..... please email any suggestions..
Alicia

My Spinal Cord Stimulator Journey said...

Hi Alicia; I'll be happy to communicate with you via email. Any comments left on my blog go straight to me email also to alert me. I don't know what yours is to reply. Here is a junk email if you want to contact me and don't want to post yours here. theresa0165@yahoo.com. Thanks