Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Thursday, May 9, 2013

It's over!

I'm so glad today is over with.  I tried to sleep in as late as I could.  It seems forever when you can't have anything to eat or drink.  My husbands coffee smelt so good.  Honesty I wanted water more.  When I fist wake up the first think I do is drink a glass of water.  I always feel dehydrated from no fluids overnight.  Then I dive into the coffee.  

We had to be there at 8:30, surgery time 9:00.  We were home at 12:30.  The lady that checks you and and takes your payment is very sweet.  She knows me.  Every time I'm finished signing a million papers and giving her money I tell her I hope this is the last time I see her.  They are very efficient there.  They always bring me back right on time and some time early.  The nurses get all their work done and if I'm not heading back to the "ice box" it's not because they are up to speed.  Their waiting on the doctor.  

After they brought me back and did the run down on the questions the fun part of starting IV came.  They always have trouble with that.  It usually takes two times.  I had to laugh because D fixed himself another cup of coffee as soon as we were settled in the waiting room they called me back pretty quick.  He brought his coffee along and the nurse working with me fussed at him for drinking it in front of me.  I'm not sure she made him feel bad but she sure tried.  She did well.  Got it in on the first try.  Once that is over I can relax a little.  The most I can, feeling dehydrated, no pain or anxiety medication.
Mr. R came in next to go over a few things with me.  The revision plan and to show me the battery that would replace the one I have.  I've seen it before but it's been some time.  A year ago to be exact.    He told me it's not uncommon for SCS patients to need a "revision" surgery at some point. 



Silver is one I have now.  White one is the one they took out!

Then Dr. G came by to explain again to D and I exactly what his plan was.  He said that he hoped to be able to put a little deeper and with the smaller size everything that was bothering me should be better.   He said being the pocket was already there it should be as tough recovery as the first time.  One incision.  They would not be fooling with the leads at all.  Then back we went.  It's always so cold in the surgery room.  As soon as they positioned me on the table they brought in a warm blanket to drape over my upper back and shoulders.  Man whatever you call that brown stuff the clean you off before is so cold.  I could feel it running everywhere.  Oxygen in the nose and the juice plugged into my hand.  For the longest time I could hear them talking.  I commented in their conversation a few times just to make sure they knew I was WIDE awake.  Apparently he juiced it up a bit more because I heard Dr. G's voice then nothing after that until what seemed like hours I heard a lot of people talking up a storm about anything and everything you could think of.  At one point they apologized for all the talking.  I don't think they had any idea I was awake.  They moved me off the table and onto the rolling bed and brought me to recovery.  As we where wheeling past the clock I noticed it was 10:10.  Doc had told me husband around 30 minutes so we were close.

still shivering
I still couldn't stop shivering after leaving the "ice box" room.  They brought me a few more warm blankets.  No, I didn't put them in that arrangement.  They did!  Of course my husband needed another picture of me.  Mr. R came in to get my stimulator control.  He said they would transfer any programs I wanted or we could just clear and start over when we meet to do some adjustments.  I let him know numbers of the two I use most of the time.  Of course when they wiped everything out and just kept 3-4  the numbers changed.  When I'm feeling up to it I have to go through them to see if any will work for me temporarily.  He forgot I'd need a different charger for the new battery.  Unfortunately it doesn't use the same on as previous battery.  Luckily I shouldn't need it before I see him to get it.  Most likely Monday.  He will be out of town at my one week check next Wednesday.  

The battery I had I only needed to charge once a month.  He said most likely as much as I use it I will probably need to charge once a week.  If things turn out better I'll be happy to charge weekly! Things are going just as the first time.  When Doc came by to talk to me before they released me he asked how I was feeling.  I told him pretty good.  Couldn't feel anything.  Not even any back pain.  He said it should feel that way a while but not to over do it because I wasn't feeling to bad at the moment.  He said he was able to put it deeper so I would have some soreness from that.  If he went any farther he was afraid the paddle would make a connection with the battery.  He also mentioned some sort of tie or anchor that was behind the battery that was possibly causing some of my discomfort.  He moved it out of the way and hopes that will make a difference also.

When we got home I did a few things and of course had that cup of coffee even though it was past lunch.  Then I decided to lye down a while.  I was still feeling pretty comfortable but knew at some point it would hit me.  I actually drifted of for about 45 minutes which is so unusual for me.  I heard Dallas barking and then heard my daughters voice.  She stopped by to check on me.  We had a nice visit and I had a "late" lunch while we caught up on some things.  

After she left I piddled around doing some easy things that didn't require any straining, bending, or squatting.   I had a salad later on around 6:45 and it was very obvious that the numbing medicine they used at surgery site had worn off.  I took 4 ibuprofen and it just continue to get worse.  Throbbing and very uncomfortable to walk.  I couldn't believe how drastic the change was from several hours ago.  
At  9 pm  I started with some ice on and off but that is very uncomfortable to have touching me but I know it will probably help so trying to suck it up.  It's now after 11 and I don't know how in the world I will sleep.  I took some pain medicine at 9 but haven't felt any difference yet.  Not very confidant I will sleep any tonight.  If it goes like last time the next day was worse but every day after that it started to get a little better each day.  Lets hope thats what happens again.  

I got a lot of texts this morning from friends and family wishing me well.  Thank you all.  My grandson prayed for me last night and my granddaughter this morning.  I truly feel blessed to have so much support.  I'm off to see if I can tolerate another round of ice before trying to get comfortable in bed and get some sleep.  Sleep is so important in getting better.  I'll be around home for sure the next few days so I'll have an update soon.  

Hopeful...Theresa


"Before you act, listen.
Before you react, think.
Before you spend, earn.
Before you criticize, wait.
Before you pray, forgive.
Before you quit, try"

                           Ernest Hemingway




























































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































D when take him tomorrow na,.

No comments: