Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Monday, July 23, 2012

A new week



So here we are Monday morning weigh in.  This week only 1.5, last week was 2.5.  Total = 4.  I worked harder this week as far as exercise and had better numbers as far as points used and unused points so I expected at least the same as last.  It's ok though,  I know it is a healthy way to loose.  A little each week will get me there.  

This goal I have, loosing some weight, is giving me something to focus on and feel productive in something.  We're still working on right medication.  Right now I'm on a minimal dose of antidepressant so I'm struggling. Just waiting on the word from the doctor this morning now that I've tapered off of the Savella if I can get started on the new drug she gave me. 

When it comes to the stimulator and exercising this is how its helping me exercise.  Before surgery I had got to the point where walking was not an option any longer.  I'd start out, even at a slow pace but it soon became to painful to keep going.   I had been out of gym since November 2010 and until Jan of this year had not been doing anything.  In January I bought a recumbent bike and started riding slowly. These workouts were at a very low resistance but some exercise  was better than none.  Never burning more than a hundred calories and pushing myself to do it at least 3 times a week.

That stopped of course after surgery.  After being released to start walking and riding at first I still couldn't do it bc the battery site (buttock) was still to sore for that much movement.  About two weeks ago I started being able to take my pain medicine an hour before and getting around the path at a slow speed but I was happy to be able to out walking again.  What I've found this last week is my pace has increased and I've added an extra lap.  So the stimulator is working.  I do start to hurt about 10 minutes into but it is at the level that I hurt during exercise for years before either of my surgeries.  When I'm done and I stop, it hurts.  The pain doesn't worry me though.  I know nothing is wrong.  I know its there for the long haul.  If the pain pill and the stimulator lets me get 2.06 miles in 36 minutes (what I did yesterday) I'm thrilled.

After I'm home, it hurts like hell but now I have a way to cover it up to get through the exercise.  I turn it down when I get home that's why I feel the pain increase come on from the exercise after.  The level I use to walk I could not tolerate just being around the house.  As I said yesterday, Lovely reminded me again we're only two months into it and six months is the big mark we're waiting for to see some even better results.

Hope everyone has a great week and a pain free day!

No comments: