Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Sunday, July 8, 2012

It's time...I'm making a change

Saturday I woke up feeling like I need a new challenge to focus on.  I have to take my mind off of where I am in this healing process.  In the year and two months that I have been laid off from my job I have gained 25 pounds.  So there it is, my new challenge to get this weight off. I don't have an excuse to not exercise now.  My stimulator is at least lowering my pain level and I've been riding my recumbent bike two to three times a week.  It's not enough.  It may maintain where I am but I won't loose anything.


In June of 2007 I started Weight Watchers for the second time in my life.  The first time was a year or two before my husband and I were married. (Nov '05)  Some how it slowly crept back on over 3 years.  I had continued to exercise but did not continue the healthy eating habits.
This time I reach my goal by the end of October. 25 pounds off.  A huge difference and a size smaller.  I felt better too.  This time it stayed off.  Even after meeting my goal I had continued for another 6 months or so following plan and having week ends off.  During this time I was burning a reasonable amount of calories at the gym.  Mostly with swimming or on the treadmill walking.  When May of 2011 rolled around I had only gained 5 of the 25 back.  I had been out of the gym since Nov of 2010 due to the pain in my back winning.  I went through a new round of physical therapy and continued to do everything at home and after that flare up was under control again I started walking with a neighbor.  We only seemed to manage to work out our schedule together several nights a week.  Not enough to keep my weight down.


In October of 2011 we sold our home and bought one across town.  This was a big challenge for me.  The packing, then the unpacking at the new home.  I took my time and worked at my own pace and decided this was my exercise.  It kept me in the "10" pain scale. It was probably January before I finally unpacked the last box. To try an exercise again  I ordered a recumbent bike. This is what my physical therapist recommended and I tried to get back on a schedule.  It was on and off, anytime I could tolerate it I'd ride.  The problem was being at home, I was eating more and exercising less.  In May a week before surgery at the doctor office I stepped on the scale and saw what I knew was there in real numbers.  I told myself that day that as soon as the doctor said I could exercise after the surgery I would get started on the plan for a third time.  I have put it off a few weeks because I've been struggling with the exercise, but its getting better. 


So here I am again, back where I was in 2007.  Weight Watchers has worked for me twice so I'm determined it will work again.  I joined the online group and my next goal is to get a grocery list together to have a great 1st week.  I'm officially starting tomorrow morning.  That's how I always did it before.  Monday to Monday.  Every Monday I got on the scale.  It's funny, when I stopped last time I still kept weighing every Monday for a long time until I was convinced I was keeping it off with mindful eating and regular exercise.  After I lost my job I quickly stopped weighing because I didn't want to know.  I discovered what I didn't want to know anyway because everything was beginning to not fit.  It was okay, I needed "soft", "loose" clothes anyway to help with my hives.  No constant reminder I couldn't fit in my clothes when was wearing the stretchy clothes.


Tomorrow I'll study the online tools some more and find some recipes I like to get started.
Then I'll head off to make a productive smart shopping trip on Tuesday.  I'm excited about it.  I need something to focus on other than the pain and it will have a good end result.  I sure it will probably go slower than the first two times because I can't burn the amount of calories I used to.  My blog will be like going to the weight watchers meeting and having to "weigh in". Knowing I'll have to tell you whats happened each Monday will help me to stay on track.  


Honestly the goal weight I want is not acceptable to Weight Watchers.  According to them I can only loose 16 pounds.  What they don't know won't hurt them.  LOL.  It states that for my age, height and weight that I'm not in the over weight zone but they haven't seen my belly.  My friends and family would agree I'd say.  I can see it so much in pictures of my self and in my face.  I haven't been able to wear my wedding ring since surgery.  Before that if I managed to get ti on I had to soap up my finger to get off.  The real truth shows in my closet.  My closet that has hardly anything that fits.  I keep wearing the same things because I knew I'd make up my mind soon to get this done.  


Wish me well and if you have any good WW recipes or tips please feel free to comment :-)
GNA and hope pain levels are low to none!

No comments: