Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Getting through it

Only once since I started walking have I had an opportunity to walk in the morning.  Last Sunday.  Today instead of sleeping in, because I could have, I set my alarm to try and walk before it got to hot.  I made a shake,got all my meds down and headed over to the walking path.  I got my music all ready, hit start activity on run keeper and got out to get started.  You see I have to do all that before I get out of the car because I can't see a darn thing on my phone without my glasses.  I can try relying on Siri but she's not always accurate.  Anyway, not even to the first turn I was thinking how hard this walk was going to be.  I was hurting so bad.  Then it hit me.....I didn't turn on my stimulator before leaving the house.  I meant to.  Thats just totally weird because if I didn't leave it on all night its one of the first things I do when I get up in the morning.  Even before I shower.  


I really didn't think I would make it.  I just told myself I'll go until I can't and be happy with that.  One lap around and I really wanted to quit.  I'm realizing that my stimulator helps more than I think.  It hurts with it on but darn it's bad without it.  I was listening to K Love praying for 3 friends of mine children that need prayers badly.  I know they are praying for my son.  I was also praying to get around one more time at least make it half a mile.  I kept telling myself, it's like child labor you think it's going to kill you but its not.  I'm not gonna die....it's just pain.  Keep going.  


Finishing up round 2 I caught up with a elderly lady and her granddaughter who had started when I was finishing my first one. Her granddaughter stopped at two and when we met up again I asked her where her partner was.  She smiled and said, "I'm 69, she is 8 and she couldn't make it." "Too hot, she said".  We laughed and started talking.  She told me she had 15 grandchildren and I forgot how many great.  3 I think.  Sweet lady.  She was raised in Mississippi picking cotton at her granddaughters age.  We finished our lap together and I realized that talking with her helped me to not focus on my pain.  Oh, it was there but in those moments I forgot I might die. lol.  


I didn't think when I started there was anyway I'd make it.  Matter of fact I considered going home and coming back in the evening when it cooled off.  But I reminded myself of all the reasons I wanted to walk in the morning.  I went to the pavilion 
to stretch out my legs and the nice lady followed.  Her daughter was sitting there waiting for her.  She drove her there before she went to work so her mom could walk. Somehow we were talking about how exercising to late can keep you up at night. Then it was about not having caffeine past a certain hour.  She asked me if I had trouble sleeping?  Yes ma'am I do.  Every night for as long as I can remember.  She said, "I have the answer for you"  "Good" I told her, I've tried everything.  What cha got?  She said, "have your ever tried reading the bible?"  I didn't know if she was joking or serious because she'd said some pretty funny things during our visit.  "Yes I have" I told her.  "Read it front to back three times"  Now she don't know if I'm joking.  
I told her it was the read the bible in a year and I didn't speed read it, I read it in a year.  Three times.  She just smiled at me.  I still don't know what to think.  We parted and she and her daughter said they'd see me around. I hope I do, she was really sweet and she carried me around my last lap, literally.  


I guess my lesson learned today is I'm sometime so absorbed in my own pain I'm not thinking about someone else's pain.  I was making a point to in my praying this morning.  But her telling me her story of a hard time let me forget about my pain for a short while.  I left there feeling like I knew this lady long before today.  Maybe God sent her there to give me a little nudge.


Goodnight everyone.

No comments: