Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Anxiety

How do I begin to talk about my anxiety.  My anxiety about?  My back, my future, returning to work, being social again, my children, what other people think, the list goes on and on.  That is why this month is the one year anniversary of being "In therapy".  


I was reading another chronic pain patients blog and I chose a label "anxiety" because you always want to know how others deal with it.  We all have some but some but how we deal with it is what counts.  I believe if your living with chronic pain you can't get away from it.  Anyway, she discusses under this label what she does the days leading up to surgery to reduce her anxiety.  ( I went to the beach)  The blogger mentions reading and gives 2 books and name of relaxation cd she purchases.  The day before she has a pedicure and stops by a pie shop and stuffs her face with her favorite pie.  There was 1 comment and I read it, that did it.  Started me on this harp again.  


Anonymous said...
Wow! You could do all these things before SCS implantation? Because of chronic leg pain, I can't walk the dog, and I certainly could not sit in a pie shop long enough to eat a piece of pie. And I have waited a long time studying SCS. I think I will go ahead with the SCS trial. I would consider SCS a success if it allowed me to walk the dog and sit in a restaurant long enough to eat a meal.
There is a book titled "You don't look sick"  Living well with Invisible Chronic Illness.  It has been added to my book list to read.  Just because someone looks just fine does not mean that their pain isn't just as real as someone missing a limb or who can't walk their dog.  I don't mean any disrespect to anyone out there hurting because I know with out a doubt that I could be worse.  I believe emotional pain can hurt just as bad. (depression)  Please don't judge us by the way we look.  Most of us are really good at faking it.  Out of the 10+ years I've been dealing with this ugly battle I continued to work through all but one.  This last one.  Only weeks after being laid off of my job I was wondering, "How did I do this?"  How did I get out of bed and keep going.  
The following 6 months my calendar was full of appointments with doctors.  I had met my maximum out of pocket for that year so being unemployed allowed me to not feel guilty about talking care of myself and seek new options.  What did I have to loose?  Not time off from my job or a co-pay, so after weeks of feeling punched in the stomach I took advantage of the misfortune in my life at the time. So many times seeing new doctors I have felt like they didn't believe the level of my pain.  I can stand up straight, I can walk, drive myself and work.  How bad can you be hurting?  I'm here to tell you, after enough time goes by you just manage.  Some days I can't hardly walk.  It takes me an hour to get going in the morning.  While I was working I gave my self time to "get moving".  Please don't look at someone dealing with chronic pain and compare your self because you can't.  Everyone is different.  There are some people who may have not continued to work through the pain I was dealing with.  I just made it happen.  People I worked with would tell you that I was a different person every day depending on my pain level was.  Giving up was NOT an option, he had to force me to!  
Sadly enough I woke up at 6am feeling that nasty demon back there again.  I haven't come out and said it, but my back pain has been hiding itself since surgery.  I've just chalked it up to being so inactive.  I had confided to D that thought and told him what if my problem has been scar tissue at the surgery site and when they placed the leads maybe they broke it up and now my back is not going to hurt anymore.  Can I get them to take this out?  Would that even be good?  That my back stopped hurting and I've had this implant done and I don't need it.  Crazy, I know.  It's what I do to myself before and after every procedure I've ever had done.  What if?  D had heard it one million times at the least.  Today I woke up to know for sure, that didn't happen.  I guess these last two better days has had me active enough to bring the nasty demon back.  So here comes the true test if it's working or not.  I will have to wait until Wednesday and see R to have some new programs.  None of the 3 I have are reaching my demon area.  So we wait.  I'm used to it.  Does that mean my anxiety is under control? Of course not, I'm still very anxious that I've done yet another procedure for no reason.  Only anxious about it.  Not believing it.  Two different things.  I remain positive, fighting the negative thoughts.  
I really wish I would have been connected a long time ago with others fighting chronic pain the way I am now.  I've always had my nose in a book, but being on the computer isn't easy to get comfortable.  I wasn't even aware of "blogging" until recently.  When I was working the last thing I wanted to do when I got home from work was get on the computer again.  Most of the time I had to lie down for awhile first before thinking of cooking or anything else that need to be done.  


A point of interest I read on another blog I follow is that people who read your blog can become frustrated if they would like to leave a comment and can't because they are not a member of blogger.
I checked under my settings and sure enough mine was set to registered users only.  I changed it, and sorry if I aggravated any of my readers.   I wasn't even thinking about someone commenting so I never looked under those settings. 


Tomorrow is a new day and the day after I will believe that R can reduce this old demon picking on me today. :-(

3 comments:

Shauna said...

Hi T,

Thanks so much for coming by 'my place' and leaving a comment. It is much appreciated, for me to know that in the darkness of night, when so many of us in pain are unable to sleep, that our writings about our lives with pain are able to touch others, even in those pre-dawn hours.

I think we have quite a bit in common, I don't want to take up a bunch of comment room here, but I had a SCS trial in 2004, it was unsuccessful, I just read that you have a lot of scar tissue in the spine and I had the same issue cause problems in lead placement.

So for 3 days I buzzed around with my right leg and abdomen--being the areas innervated. Not my back at all, not to mention even close to the pain in my Thoracic spine. I also had lack of the rep around to properly be guided as promised.

One of many many procedures for me. Lets keep in touch, and I wish you a day of tolerable pain. Looking forward to reading more.

btw, I just changed my site address from blogspot to just Shauna's Life In Pain.com, in doing so, I lost my lists of carefully gathered Chronic Pain blogs, nursing and medical sites, etc., collected over the 4 years I have been writing my blog. :( In the meantime of finding those lost links, I am glad to have yours now to start my new list.

Gentle Hugs-----<3

My Spinal Cord Stimulator Journey said...

Ditto to you my new friend. I will make sure I look for new address. Congrats on being my first follower I feel honored. In writing my blog this was my hope to connect with others who understand. Something I should have done a long time ago. I plan to spend more time reading as time allows. (your blog)

As far as the scar tissue it's just something I've wondered about because I have no "real diagnosis" except for Failed Back Surgery Syndrome. Something I don't accept easily. To me it's just a label. I ran into a lady a year or so after surgery who told me of her husband who saw a doctor in Houston I believe who had lots of scar tissue that was very painful. After seeing this surgeon and having another surgery or some sort of procedure done ( I can't remember) he had been pain free since. Back to work and resuming a normal life. I don't know what normal is anymore. I still have the phone no an name of doctor in my note pad on phone. As I'm sure you understand, you just start to think you've seen enough doctors and it's time to accept your cross to carry.

I intend to list some sites I visit as I add on to my blog. Just taking it a little at a time while healing. Maybe we can exchange email addresses? Your gentle hug is so needed, thank you kindly.

Unknown said...

Just read your blog and will continue to check in on you. Let me know when you are ready for some company!