Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A better Day

Better today than yesterday.  I'm ok with the same,  just not worse.  But better is great!  Twice I've had several days of what I call "back sliding" (I make up words all the time).  Only rested once for 30 minutes.  Worked a little on finishing up two painting things I was working on.  I'll post a picture.


I'm sure your wondering if I got any sleep last night since I complain about that a lot!  Not much, but more than zero like the night before.  I went down with my stim on.  Only the second time I did this since the implant. I didn't drag myself out of bed until 9:30 am the last I had seen on the clock was 2.  So a little progress.  I'm sure the muscle relaxer and gabapentin helped some.  I noticed a big difference in the night sweats which is one of the many reason gabapentin is subscribed.  For me it was nerve pain.  Hives about the same.  The ones I last mentioned are gone but a few new ones appeared before bedtime.  A lower scale than I've been dealing with so another good thing.


After 30 minutes of being up the nasty demon (pain) came out.  I wasn't gonna take it.  Spending the bed all day like yesterday was not an option.  I'm to far out for these "back slides"  I pulled out my stimulator and started going through them again.  What was helping a bit yesterday had already changed.  So I went through all the programs again.  Found #2 to be helpful today more than the one yesterday.  This is good.  A light at the end of tunnel.  I meet with a new rep tomorrow, mine is out of town.  I hope she is as nice and patient as Mr. R. I don't care how I feel while Im there I'm going to stick it out to get some better coverage.  Just hope she has the time for me.  


I've been compiling a list of things that have been helpful to me now and some more so for those first few weeks.  Some I already had, as I've said previously this ain't my first rodeo!
I also want to go back and see pre surgery what I wrote about leading up to this implant about my experience with the trial.  I may have just said I had one but not told about what the experience was about.  If you thinking of having a SCS implanted and or your doctor has recommended one you will be like me wondering what to expect.  They give you a dvd and a book to read about it.  I couldn't help but be skeptical about it though.  Do you really think they'd have a person give a testimonial and tell you the bad parts?  That's why it was so important to me to talk to others that had one in person not just read the testimonials from patients for the three different company's who make them.  Reading SCS blogs and and reaching out talking to others was very helpful.  I also talked to 4 people personally on the phone.  1 my mother put me in touch with, 1 my aunt knew from her church and a distant friend had a family member with one who agreed to talk to me.  Last, but not least, a patient who St. Jude put me in touch with that lives in a large town not far from here.  We emailed then also had a conversation by phone.  All different stories and all successful cases.  A booklet and a DVD maybe enough for you but it wasn't for me.  It took time to reach out and find these folks so you should be patient and not rush.  It's a huge decision only you can make. 


I charged my generator tonight.  I knew it would be fine but as stated before I'm a compliant patient.  Only a tiny used since last Wednesday when I charged.  It took 45 minutes then.  This time 25.  Not so bad.  


What a shocker.  I received my EOB from insurance on Saturday.  I couldn't get past the thought that something so expensive is in my body.  I already have a 25,000.00 cage around my spine at L4/L5 and couldn't believe that.  I don't know if its ok for me to put the price on here or not so I'll leave it out but I will say that when I had the spinal fusion in 2009 my hospital bill for 2 nights and 3 days was 45,000.00.  25 was the hardware in my back.  This surgery, not including doctor fees, was 4 x's that.  I'm worth a lot of money. (finding humor anywhere I can)


THIS IS A CARD FROM MY DAUGHTER I COULDN'T BEAR TO JUST STICK IN A BOX
THE COOL THINK IS B WAS WITH ME WHEN I PICKED UP THE SCRAPBOOK PAPER AND I GET HOME WITH IT AND MATCHES THE CARD. PRETTY COOL.  WASN'T EVEN INTENDING IT FOR THE CARD, CAME UP WITH THAT IDEA AFTER.
COLLAGE WITH SOME MIXED PICTURES  THAT HAD BEEN CUT ON FOR BULLETIN  BOARDS AND NOT PUT BACK SINCE WE MOVED.  THOUGHT THEY'D BE GREAT FOR PRACTICE BEFOE I DO A FULL PHOTO.
I'M GOING TO TAKE MY DAUGHTER SUGGESTION AND ADD AN OUTLINE OF THE SIDE PAPER PAPER ON TOP .  THE BLACK IS WHAT INSTRUCTIONS CALLED FOR BUT OTHER WISE YOU DON'T SEE THE PRETTY PAPER ON THE EDGES.  I ALSO USED THE MATTE INSTEAD OF THE SHINEY ONE.

Hugs to everyone!  Sending good thoughts of pain free days your way.

No comments: