Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Monday, June 25, 2012

Being active

Saturday and Sunday drug along and I wasn't looking forward to Monday.  The week seems to just drag by so slowly.  If I could do more, I'm sure that wouldn't be the case.  I did finish the project I mentioned previously.  I need to find a place to hang it.


 D had been asking me about trying to see a movie....at the theater.  I haven't been since March of 09 and before that I couldn't tell you when. When we were still dating.  It was a good test.  90 minute movie so a good choice as far as time.  I was squirming around at 45.  I had brought my stimulator so at that point I just cranked it up higher.  I made it, but couldn't tell you how happy I was to stand up when it was over.  I'd say I couldn't have done it without the stimulator. 


I had plans to get started walking again on Sunday but my partner couldn't make it.  I've been close to a couch potato the last 5 weeks so I was not going to skip since she couldn't make it.  So skip the walk and ride your recumbent bike.  I figured I needed to try at some point.  It wasn't to bad.  No resistance and 30 minutes.  I only burned 100 calories.  100 more than if I hadn't done any thing!  I was concerned that the way my legs would move peddling  it would bother my battery site.  That was not the case durning but it was after.  I experience some light throbbing there and mild discomfort in the area of the little knot on the incision along my spine.  It did feel good mentally.  I convinced myself that even if I didn't just have surgery I'd be a little uncomfortable just getting started again.  I had to believe that instead of starting my usual worrying. 


Today I decided it was ok to bake some more cookies because I was a good girl and I exercised and I planned on walking this evening.   Problem was where my baking pans are.  Where my bowls are.  Nothing is where I can "follow instructions" and bake cookies or wash clothes for that matter.  Wednesday is 6 weeks so close enough.  Have to start bending a little sometime.  Two days early, big deal.  I got 5 loads of clothes washed and folded.  Doesn't sound like much but I haven't been unloading the machine, only starting it and D gets out of machine and into the dryer for me.  I did use my grabber to get out of the dryer so I wasn't completely being bad.  I managed to get the pans by knelling down and lucky me I could feel the ones I needed.  I washed and left for D to put back for me.  Taking the cookies out of the oven was a little tricky also.  Now I have all the cookies here, again!  I'm bringing some to my therapist tomorrow.  So glad I have a few places to go tomorrow, the day won't be so long.


My walking partner made it today.  Apparently during our conversation during our walk she is new to exercising.  I just thought she was getting back to exercising but that doesn't seem to be the case.  We both had reason to keep it simple and stick to 30 minutes.  There was no way I was going to back out but honestly between riding the bike last night, the baking and washing clothes had really pushed my limits. I woke up hurting a little more than usual but tired to convince myself that I was supposed to feel that way.  Nothing wrong. 


 It was quite warm but its a wonderful place to walk.  We have sidewalks in our neighborhood but there are a couple of broken and cracked spots that always make me nervous.  Then you never know when an unleashed dog will come tailing along.  Anyway back to the walking track, its great.  I wouldn't have a problem going there alone.  I was the first person to arrive at 6.  M was right behind me.  We started slowly and were the only ones until 10 to 15 minutes later.  By the time we left there were 10-12 people there.  We had some interesting conversation.  She knew I'd just recently had a surgery again but asked me at some point exactly what was done.  It was kinda of funny trying to explain to her what a SCS is and how it works.  I enjoyed her company.  We have a lot of miles to cover and learn about each other. 


I'm charging IPG while I write this and I'm currently at 45 minutes.  I'm sticking with once a weeks so I don't have to sit so long during charging.  I'm leaving it on more and more so it seems to take a bit longer each time.  No worries, its nothing hard.  You just have to pick the "right" time to do it.  Speaking of charging, when I went to turn off my programmer I somehow landed in the menu screen and when I finally got out the screen was blank.  It lit up green like it is supposed to but you couldn't see any writing.  I went to the manuel to trouble shooting....nothing.  They only mentioned for a blank screen if batteries are dead.  D wanted me to take them out and put back thinking that might reset it and it would come on.  I did, nothing.  There have been times that I've thought I could just get tired of the way the constant stimulation felt.  It can be annoying at some point.  But now in this situation after only 30 minutes I was panicking about what to do.  I should have known I could count on Mr. R to help me out.  I text him as to what was going on and he responded to me shortly after that he'd give me a call soon and we'd figure it out.


It was tough, it was like trying to do something blind.  You couldn't see what screen you were in or what was happening with each beeping sound.  Mr. R hung in with me until we figured it out.  He had a programmer on his end and once he figured out by the sounds mine was making he could understand what screen it was in.  Turns out the contrast had been tuned off somehow.  It was strange, because on his even turned all the way down you could still see the writing on screen, it was just dimmer.  But on mine it was blank.  I'm so thrilled I have a rep that is patient and so quick to get back with me anytime I need help or have a question.  I told him we need to meet soon and he said anytime, just let him know. 
Of course, I was fussing and complaining until he called me because I couldn't figure it out.  D has so much more patience than me.  Sometime he's so calm it makes me mad that he is so calm.  lol  It all worked out though.  


So I'm finished charging.  Good to go for another week.  Forgot to mention about getting a lilly for the pond on Sunday.  A movie on Saturday, and pond plant shopping on Sunday.  I'm really getting out in the world.  :-)  I have to say, I like it.  It will help keep it clean along with some cleaner we purchased for the pond and fountain.  We had to get some food for the lilly that it gets once a month.  Something else to put on the calendar.  Hope tomorrow won't be to rough.  I feel my body reacting to the extra stress from activities yesterday and today.  Hives are popping out here and there.  What's new?
Thanks for stopping by.  








Yummy cookies.  Oatmeal, cranberry, chocolate walnut. 

The pond Lilly

No comments: