Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Time to bake


I decided as "log rolled" out of bed this morning it was time to do something other than tv dinners, sandwiches, take out (really brought home by D), or soup from a can.  I've had enough.  My pain will not win today.  


The occasion, vistors after work hours.  I never bake just for us.  Can't have this temptation around.  I have 0 will power.  If it's not here, no problem but even covered and put out of sight it calls my name.  Hurry eat me before I get stale. Not everything sweet, but definitely these cookies.  Peanut butter and black berry jam cookies.  (Food Network)  Almost everything I bake I've seen on Food Network.


These are heavenly.  I don't even care for peanut butter.  I traded one third of the peanut butter for Nutella just for fun.  I do believe my guests enjoyed them also.  Even though I had to beg for them to take some home.  I didn't want to many hanging around.  I try to have these indulgences on special occasions.


Tomorrow is my 3 week check at PM Office.  I hope he says all looks good and I can start doing some walking or possible riding my recumbent bike.  I'm being ambitious about the bike but its much more convenient than getting so hot outside.  I'd like to alternate if possible.  I've been nervous to even try to sit on the seat.  If I can't sit on the sofa very comfortable chances aren't to good that I can sit on that hard seat.  I was really struggling to ride before surgery.  My back would hurt so bad during but I could get though it easier than a power walk so it was that or nothing.  


I've been exercising since my kids were old enough to stay inside on their own with no supervision.  I first started walking with my neighbors.  This went on for years and after I moved two of my friend continued to want to walk with me, we rotated houses. 3-4 nights a week.  Around 2003 I started going to BREC gym at Santa Maria.  It was great bc it was on my way home.  I knew if I went home I'd never leave again.  My walking partners did their own thing. They were not interested in the gym at the time.  There was a nice young man at the one I went to who spent a lot of time showing me what was safe to do with my back problems.  I loved it.  


Then a year or two later my children gave me a puppy for Christmas (Dallas) and I felt the need to come straight home from work to care for him until he was trained.  I did this for a year.  I was using a dvd work out to continue to exercise.  When I was ready to go back D and I were married and I joined the Y right down the street.  Perfect.  Not to busy, everything you needed and being that my husband worked for the state we got a nice discount.  It wasn't long after then that my work outs became harder and harder to do.  My chiropractor recommended I try swimming.  Swimming? I don't know how.  So, I taught my self.  I could swim on top of the water, and I definitely could save myself if needed.  I grew up around water.  But swimming laps the professional way.  I was so scared and nervous at first.  I went out and purchased the swim shoes, goggles, and of course the silly looking swim cap.


It took me about 6 weeks of 4 times a week but I got the hang of it and each week I'd increase a lap.  I didn't know if I'd ever step foot back in the gym.  It was awesome.  No pain involved in this work out at all.  Being in the pool was like all the pain being lifted away like magic.  Why didn't I do this sooner?  Then in 09 I had the surgery and never got back in to it .  Things were never the same after surgery and I couldn't seem to get through much of anything at the gym.  About the only thing I did was the 2 miles my orthopedic doctor asked me to do and stretching after.  I wasn't even able to do weights any longer.  I missed that also.


In November of 2010 I had a bad flare up and couldn't go at all for some time and by Jan decided to give up my membership.  I was heading downward for depression but didn't know it and I no longer had the will to keep fighting walking in pain.  November 2011 made a year with no exercise.  I never saw myself coming to that.  Between a couple bad medications and lack of exercise I put on 20 pounds.  It WILL come off.  I have complete faith that even if its only a reduction in pain my stimulator will help me get back to walking.  I bought the recumbent bike in Jan of this year and forced myself to ride at least 3-4 times a week.  My physical therapist said this type of bike was good for me so that helped me make my decision on buying a tread milll or bike.  Besides when it's not raining or 99 degrees outside I can walk.  Our neighborhood is perfect for walking.  Not a lot of traffic.


As we were telling our company good bye we noticed some ducks wobbling down the street.  The female up front and two males following behind.  We were wondering if they were going to come into our yard to check on the egg we found two days ago.  By the time we got inside they were in the yard coming up toward the window where egg was.  The mother came close but not all the way.  Not sure.  Maybe she could smell D's scent and was fearful.  They hung around a bit and then went back the way the came from.  Made me a little sad. 


Hope I can sleep tonight.  I want to feel decent when we go in for the appointment tomorrow and D has a couple of other stops he wants to make so I better be ready for it.  Looking forward to working with R on some new programs that cover the area needed better.  If it's not raining I am going to post some updated pics of the hard work D has been doing in the last couple of weeks. 


Hope everyone and especially anyone reading that is dealing with chronic pain that you have a peaceful pain free night and day tomorrow.  
GNA-Theresa  The pictures were taken through the window so not so clear.




No comments: