Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

3 months

It's now been three months since my SCS surgery.  On a previous post I mentioned news I had received from St. Jude regarding my charging system.  Of course I called Mr. R the next day looking for some answers.  As usual he got right back with me with a number to call at St. Jude to address this situation in particular.  In the end every thing is fine.  These patients who have been burned were not following proper instructions when charging.  To be honest, I'm one of them.  There is a padded cover that goes over the wand that I was not using.  I wasn't having any pain or burns but I did have added warmth in the battery area.  Never to the point that it worried me.  Having this warmth is normal, I had read about it and remembered it from watching the video provided with the charging kit.  So I didn't think anything of it.  That is until I got this letter.

In my phone call I had my fear answered.  This problem has nothing to do with the battery itself.  It is completely about the charging system.  They are working on making some changes in it to reduce chances of it happening to patients but they wanted to stress verbally on the phone with you to follow the instructions exactly as they recommend.  One thing that saved me was that I charge on a weekly basis.  Some patients experiencing problems were waiting longer periods of time, not using the pad over the wand or placing the wand directly over the battery area.  They explained to me how important it is that the wand be placed exactly over the battery before letting it charge.  It can cause it to generate more heat I guess if it is not in the correct spot.  So I myself am feeling much better about the entire deal.  Even if something was wrong, which there is not, it would only mean I needed to replace the charger not to remove my battery.  That was my biggest concern and I didn't want to even think about it.  I also learned something new I didn't know about the pad being over the wand.  It has a clip attached to back side so you can hang on a belt they provide for if you want to be mobile while charging.  I thought that was the sole purpose of the pad for the wand.  So from here on out I'll be using it properly.  

The call was very explanatory.  It was recorded and she repeated the instructions multiple times, asking did I fully understand how to properly charge my regarding placement and using the pad?  Even as we went to hang up she said again I'm required to tell you once more to make sure you understand and she repeated again.  It was very pleasant though.  Not as if to make me feel stupid, but for my safety.  I'm sure this has been a big deal for them and their reputation.  So this is one thing I'm no longer worried about.

So what's different at 3 months.  First, I'm noticing I need reprogramming less often now.  It's been 3 weeks and everything seems the same as since Lovely fine turned some programs for me.  The closer I get to 6 months they will stay and be more in just the back area where I need.  Right now I still have to deal with feeling the stimulation in areas I don't need.  It's ok though, better than no stimulation in my lower back at all.  I will however be happy when we can get it to just that area.  In the first few weeks we couldn't even reach close to the spot that hurst the most.   

Second, taking less pain medication.  Some days I need more depending on what I do.  As I mentioned in a previous post with the taking the pain med, giving it an hour to work, with the stimulation added I can now walk and ride my recumbent bike.  Before surgery, I could barely keep up with D to walk Dallas.   This really helps me with the depression to some degree.  I was gaining so much weight not being able to exercise and just not feeling strong enough to do anything.  

Third, I'm sleeping a little better.  Leaving the stimulator on at night on low seems to help me relax a little these past weeks and release some tension in my back.  I still wake up every time I move because the battery site is still pretty sore.  I've asked about that and it could still take a few more months before that is better.  I'm expecting some great improvements by 6 months and still feel pretty confidant that I made the right choice.  I still have some days that even with both I just can't seem to do various things.  There are more better days than bad I'd say.   Every day seemed to be a bad day before.   The weather still effects me a lot.  No matter what I take or how high I put the stimulator that just can't seem to be controlled.  

I could have been a patient who got no relief from the trial at all.  Even though mine didn't go well, if your considering doing the trial ask your doctor about trying longer than 3 days.  That just isn't long enough to really tell how well it will work for you.  We were all skeptical going in ( Mr. R, my doctor and myself) but I knew it couldn't be any worse.  And praise God it isn't.  I'm happy to say it's better and I hope it will continue to be even better than it is now. 

It's been a nasty week with getting the pool up.  I'm happy to say it's done and left our yard like a mud pit.  All part of it I hear.  If the rain would have stayed away we'd only be dealing with a pile of dirt and some dead grass.  This is bad.  It actually stinks around the worst areas.  D is working his hardest to get some sand spread to soak up the water.  He can't really do any work with all the water and mud in the way.  The long down pour we had last night just really put it over top.  In all matters, even the pool.  New pool owners, we had to call someone to find out how to drain some water out, we didn't even know.  D has been in.  I haven't.  At the present time we don't have a ladder. He's worried if he can get me in, how will he get me out.  Guess I'll have to build a lift he told me. 

It's on a truck on its way to Baton Rouge.  We've been promised if it comes in today they'll bring it to us.  I can't tell you how much I can't wait to get in.  When I'm in the water, I feel so much relief.  I think I'll live in the thing! Tomorrow I'll post some pictures.  The deck is supposed to go up on Saturday but that will all depend on the weather also.  With the condition it is out there now you can't really work.

I hope to have time to post tomorrow but if I don't you know you'll hear from me on Weigh in Monday!

God Bless and enjoy your week end and love those babies.  Speaking of babies.  My first grandchild turns three on Monday.  My how time flies. 

No comments: