Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

2 days and whose counting :-(

I was awake until 2 am this morning so needless to say I got a slow and late start this morning on my to do list.  First up therapy with my social worker.  I really like her a lot.  We did decided if I need to talk to her before I can make a trip in she is willing to do a phone secession with me.  Other wise I'll go in as soon as I feel well enough to go into town and sit with her for an hour.  I do a lot of pacing during that hour.  My appointment was a 12 and as soon as closed the door to leave I realized I'd locked my self out.  Thank goodness I had my purse.  I have a spare key for car but not for house.  I need to take care of that.  At least I was able to leave an keep my appointment.  My husband was in the field today and just so happen he was heading back to office and passing my way.  He dropped of a key for me in the back yard.  


I went to bank, CVS, Walgreens and Wal Mart.  Then I had to rest for an hour when I got home.  About 4 I kicked into overdrive and made my self wash 3 loads of clothes and vacuum and steam my floors.  Dusting and then I quit.  At least something will feel ok about leaving here Wednesday morning.  My house will be clean even though it killed me to get it done.  Tomorrow I'll go to baby C's house and play with her.  We have a good time.  Its tough for me some time but I'm very much appreciated and C makes me smile and forget about what else is going on in the world and even though the pain in there and nagging me I don't dwell on it was much as when I'm home.  3 things left on the list for when I get in after 5 tomorrow.   That will be a challenge because when I get home form babysitting I usually don;t do much of anything.  Hit the heating pad for sure.


From the time of last June up until March of this year I have been in the process of getting approved for a trail test.  I saw the SW that was recommended until he felt I was ready to go back and see the Psychologist and be retested.  That was in February I believe.  Everything went well and he sent a letter to my pain management doctor stating i was ready for the trial.  I scheduled it for the first Friday in April.  It was done at the surgery center where all the other injections and nerve blogs and such had been done.  They know me over there now.  I've become a regular.  Not that I'm bragging.  Hope I never see that place again after Wednesday.  So it was same ol routine.  We get there. Pay, sign a bunch of papers and wait.  Wait while your thirsty, hungry and hurting like hell without your pain meds.  I did however take my anxiety medicine because I don't know if I would have went through without it.  After we went back, they starting reading all the same ol same ol stuff and reviewing my meds.  Doc came by to see me and answer any questions.  Then the rep from St. Jude ( he'll be R) came by to see if I wanted to talk to him about anything.  He explained he would be in surgery room and working with me after on some settings to try at home to help see if this was going to lessen my pain.  


We went into that freezing room where they warn you NOT TO TOUCH anything on the table.  They always have to help me up on that high table.  The little stool just don't cut it when your back dosen't work right.  Then the lovely part comes where they stuff this pillow under your hips so your butt is stuck up in the air for all to see.  I really don't care anymore I'm used to it.  I have gotten to know all of them but now I have a new visitor in the room.  R.  He is there so that when the leads are placed they can talk to me and find out where I'm feeling them and work with me if its not in the right place.  Your pretty alert through the entire process..  After they were in and I was in the "step down" area to be watched R sat with me and worked some programs with me.  After they had me up and dressed.  Remember durning trial nothing is implanted the leads are coming out of your back and kind of swing around to the side.  The have a piece on the end that sticks into the stimulator remote for you to operate what program you want and the intenseness of it.  By the time the starting getting me up and he was still trying to work with me I couldn't sit in the chair I was to uncomfortable.  The numbness was starting to wear off and I could fell spasms in my back starting.  ( I will have something to take for that this time).  Over all it wasn't to bad.  It was uncomfortable sleeping if you wanted the stimulator on because of the wires hanging by your side.  YOu have to cautious.  If you pull one out you loose that connection. 




By Saturday morning my upper back was hurting pretty bad.  Soreness and spasms.  I couldn't lay down, I couldn't sit in chair because I couldn't stand anything touching my back.  the first night was difficult but it got better and the next night then the next.  I had the leads removed on Turesday.  A different rep from St. Jude had met me in at the PM clinic on Monday am to see it she could get some different programs working for me to try out the next 24 hours.  We just could not reach the spot that hurt me the worst.
I felt it every where, my legs, down to my feet, my stomach.  If it would just wrap around my stomach where it is to the back life would be grand.  We just couldn't reach that area.  The good news is that at least the sensation was pleasant.  Some people do not like the way it feels so it is not comforting to them.


On Tuesday doc said he wanted me to see the doctor that does the implant and talk with him about my chances of reducing pain more with a different kind of lead.  The ones on each side were small and round and the one he will put in the middle space called a  paddle lead. It sends the signals down instead of out in a circle like the long spaghetti like leads.  They will put me to sleep, make the first incision and place the leads and next the paddle down the middle.  They will then wake me and R will work with me to see where I am feeling the stimulation.  Hopefully this time we'll have a winner.  It didn't quite reach the area of my back I needed last time.  When we're fished with that back out I go for the cut in the booty to place the battery and sew me up there also.  Beyond that I don't know what else will take place. I guess thats what you'll find out on Thursday morning.  I hope those little buggers go in smoothly.  The he said the paddles can give him fits some time.  


D will be with me and B(my daughter) will meet us there so D can go to work for a couple of hours.  He has to go out of town the next morning so my mom will be staying with me Wednesday evening until Friday when D gets back home.  


I better call it a night because I have to get up at 5;30 and its 12:00.  I know I can't sleep with my back hurting and D next to me snoring like a train.  I just can't sleep through noise.  Sorry can't do it.  I'm making a move to another room.  I need a few hours to get through tomorrow.


I'll say hello tomorrow night, short and sweet then I'm not sure what to expect.  I hope to update Wednesday night but thats up to God now isn't it.  Thanks for sticking around.  Please feel free after, if you are making decisions about this to ask any questions.  Another persons blog I read was actually at a year before everything was just right but she was happy she finally got there and it changed her life.  She was then saying she was glad she did it.  Before with all the trials of getting stimulation right she wasn't so sure.


Good night everyone.  Sweet Dreams everywhere.



No comments: