Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

So glad its over

When we made it to surgery center I was only patient there.  They were waiting for me!  The front desk did my paper work and they brought me right back.  Shortest amount of time I've ever spent before going back.  After all the usual pre surgery questions and IV started Dr. Graham came in to talk to me.  Asked me if I had any questions and he talked with D and I for awhile.  He wanted to be clear with me that it wouldn't be to bad that day but by the night or next morning I'd feel like he beat me with a baseball bat. ( His exact words!)  He also told me not to worry about fooling with the stimulator to much because I probably wouldn't be able to feel my normal back pain with the two new surgery sites.  I told him to just make sure he had me sleeping well during the cutting.  All my other visits i was awake even though I was supposed to be somewhat out of it and not remember.  I'm hard to sedate.  He told me don't worry, you will be asleep.


Then the anesthesiologist walked me back and took me to the meat locker.  Helped me up on the dreaded table with a huge wedge and pillow under my hips with my behind exposed to all. No time to be modest.  I had no choice.  The were really nice to me.  Put a warm blanket across my shoulders while they prepped by back.  Then the anesthesiologist gave me a shot of something to take the edge off because I had the shakes really bad.  My blood pressure was hight also when we came in but that was because I was hurting so bad.  (Didn't take any of my meds before going).  When they had me ready Dr. Graham and R (my rep from St. Jude) came in.  They told me night night and we'll wake you up soon for you to tell us where your feeling the stimulations.  It seemed like it went so fast but it had been about an hour.  They asked a lot of questions about where I felt the stimulation and they would make adjustment and we'd go through routine again.  Thank God I couldn't feel them moving it around like I did with the trial.  Finally we were at a place we were all happy with and the put me back to sleep to close the middle incision and make one for the battery and implant it in.  Total time was two hours before I was awake again.  I remember them helping me move from the table to gurney.  Thinking of that now, I don't know how in the heck it happened because I can hardly move at this point.  


I had the shakes really bad and my blood pressure was high but I heard nurse tell D that was common and thats whey they keep you an hour to make sure it comes down.  Durning the time I was waiting the time out and letting my pressure come down the St. Jude rep went over some things with my husband.  He said same thing as doc.  Don't feel bad about not using it because most doctors don't even send it home with you until you come for first week
check.  He put 2 programs for me and said we'd talk a lot about it next Wednesday when I see Dr. Graham.  So at 11:00 they let me leave.  Ride home was bearable and my daughter drove in right behind D.  He had to go to office for a couple of hours because he was going out of town today and there were things he had to do plus get some prescriptions for me.


B and I talked and had lunch and I was moving around pretty good.  She kept asking me, "don't you want to go lay down"?  No, I'm sore and stiff but its not so bad.  I was thinking, its not as bad as I expected.  Thought it was going to be worse.  All I can say is that both areas must have still been numb because right around 5 o'clock it hit me.  All of a sudden I was to my Knees literally.  I couldn't sit, couldn't lay down.  I could barely lay on the side the implant was not on but that was hard also because I could feel the pulling so to speak and I just couldn't relax.  Then it hit me.  Dummy, he gave you rx for a reason.  I took the pain med and muscle relaxer.  I'd like to say they put me to sleep but they didn't.  Late in the morning around 3 I finally fell asleep.  When I heard D up getting ready for work I realized I couldn't move a muscle in my body without it hurting.  Btw, my mom was there.  She came in the night before.  Darn this is bad, this is the base ball beating he was telling me about.  It was an act of congress to get me out of bed to the bath room.  My back surgery couldn't touch this.  That was a breeze.  


It's been a long hard day.  I hope it gets better tomorrow, I'll take the same, just please don't be worse.  I hate not being able to move and adjust my self in the bed.  To just turn to my side is awful.  I did some ice a couple of times today.  Just have to be careful with that because my bandages can't be wet.  The meds help a little.  Just enough to get me up to bathroom and to eat a bite here and there.  My mom has been such a treasure to have here.  She's suffering herself with some leg pain and soreness from an injection in her back last Friday.  She'll go home tomorrow when D gets in form out of town and D will stay home with me next week.  


This is my first time being able to sit up in a chair to type this.  I'm just dreading getting up.  As much as my back hurt all the time you just couldn't imagine something else could hurt worse.  I did try using my stimulation today.  My legs were hurting also but it didn't go well.  My mom wanted me to leave it alone because I was loosing my temper with it.  I was hurting so bad I just couldn't concentrate in the instructions.  I watched the DVD twice.  I'll try again on the week end.  


I'm just so anxious to get past all this pain and healing so I will know how much the stimulator will help me.  I understand 7-10 days will be a big difference.  I'll hang in there it has to get better.  I sure would love a hot shower!  Only sponge baths until next Wednesday when they take bandages off and stitches on outside out.  Then they'll put the little steri strips like they used on the incisions for the melanoma.  Then I can shower.  Woo hoo.  Don't know what I'm going to do about my hair.  Not to bad yet but but in few days I'll have to figure something out.  I'm absolutely not going 7 days without washing my hair.  No bending, twisting or raising hands over my head, so I'll have to come up with something very creative to get it done.  My wonderful husband said don't worry when I get home we'll figure out a way.  I'm so lucky....<3


I hope tonights a little easier, but I don't think so.  It's pretty hard to find a way to get comfortable.  Late night television will help me through it.  Keep my mind off the pain.  It just feels so weird to feel that big bulge in my back side but it will go down I understand.  Patience, Patience.  I'm going to make myself get around some more tomorrow.  Getting stiff in bed is not good either.  I just don't know what to do with my self when I do get up.  Nothing is comfortable.  I told my mom there is know way if I'm not better I'll ride in a car on Wednesday.  I'm sure I will be or they wouldn't expect you to be able to do it.  


At least tonight was one of my tv nights.  LOL.  I watch tv on Sunday and Thursday nights.
Missing, Person of Interest and Awake.  It's the only shows D and I both like and watch together.  


My mom gave me all the messages for everyone who text and called her.  I feel the love and prayers. Thank you all.  Time will tell.  Later.
Theresa

No comments: