Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

7 Day check

Today started out good.  My daughter came to help out with some chores around here and I had a special request that she was happy to fill for me.  I went to bed last night craving a McDonald's biscuit.  Go figure?  I never get anything from McDonald's.   Just tired of what I have around here.  You forget what a luxury it is to drive your self somewhere, like the store.


We did several loads of  laundry, B cleaned my tile floors and we did some catching up.  It was nice to have some company.  I mean, I love my husband and my dog but the last 5 days its been just them.   Then she managed to wash my hair over the sink for me.  It was nice to have it clean and styled.  Found something comfortable to wear and whew, I was worn out already.  D came in about 12:30 so B was able to go on with her day and finish her own work and we headed off to the Dr. office.  I had to laugh, my husband asked if I washed my hair.  You mean you can't tell?  It doesn't look much different to me.  Sounds rude if you didn't know him because he's really a sweet, kind man.  He was just being honest.  He told me he just don't notice those kind of things.  


I brought all my SCS stuff with me.  The remote with paddle, the charger, the magnet and the manual.  They had told me not to worry about fooling with the bag with charger in it they would explain at my first appointment.  Dr. Graham came in first.  After all the small talk I dropped my skirt and he starting taking the bandages off.  Darn that tape coming of hurt.  He said it looked great, just two small areas that weren't completely closed.  He put the steri stips on but put bandages back but smaller ones.  So no shower until Monday.  Dru gets to play Dr. and take them off and check to see if closed.  If not, he said just some ointment and a bandaid.  Then I CAN shower.  I also have to continue brace until Monday.  He said the pressure helps fluid from building up and causing problems at surgery area.  5 more days, I can take it.   I have to return to see Dr. Graham in 2 weeks which will be 3 weeks out from surgery.  At that time I believe he will allow me to start some brisk walking for exercise.


Now I can see that the incision on my spine runs vertical.  For someone reason all this time I just assumed it ran horizontal.  I also assumed that the on my butt cheek would be larger but its just the opposite.  The one running along my spine is longer and D couldn't believe that the one where battery is wasn't bigger.  That's the one that hurts too!.  Turns out it's the smaller of the two.  I don't know how they get in there and do so much work in such a small area.


After Dr. Graham was done R came in and worked with me on some new settings.  We took off the 2 old ones and added 3 new programs.  He spent some time showing me how and when to recharge.  I most likely, being that I had to go with the larger battery, will not need to recharge but once every two to three weeks.  Depending on how long at a time I use it.  If it works like I'm hoping it will, that sucker will be running all my awake hours.  There was also this big white magnet shaped like a horse shoe.  If I have the magnet with me and not the remote with paddle I can just pass it over the battery and it shuts if right off.  If I want to turn back on it comes back on by passing the magnet over the battery (in my butt) again and it comes back on to same program slowly increasing to the level of intensity it was at.  If I want to change the intensity or program I have to use the remote with paddle.  Pretty easy and cool once it was all explained.  I left with it on and kept on until I started working on this.  We made a stop at Wal Mart on the way home to pick up a few things.  It felt strange to be out after a week of being home.  


I'm pretty sore now.  Considering I've done not much of anything the last 7 days I'm pretty tired with the full day I had.  My behind is sore.  All that padding is gone now so I feel every little thing.  I'm hoping tonight will be different and I can lay on my back without all that packing there if won't be so uncomfortable.  I think Dr. Graham and R both were surprised at how well I was doing.  They don't understand how long I've been dealing with pain.  Not a big deal, I'm used to it.  R asked me, "well, how bad was it?"  I told him the trial was much harder.  He said I was the first patient that ever told him that and he was surprised to hear me say that.


Now its just wait and heal.  As I am released to do more, my back pain will return and I will begin to use stimulator more and more.  I'll get a true feeling for how it is working then.
Right now I'm just playing around with it to get used to it.  It will do nothing for the surgery pain.  


I've been getting text from friends and family checking on me.  I really appreciate it.  I haven't responded because I just don't know what to say.  I'm getting, "is it working?"  I know thats a natural question to ask but it will take time to really know how much relief I will get from it.  Dr. Graham said some people are back to normal and don't need any adjustments by the 3 month mark.  Some is 6 or 9.  What I do know is that I'm confidant that it is going to be BETTER.  Better was all I was praying for because I've understood from start that I may only get up to 50% relief.  And 50% is better than none.  


This week end will be two weeks since I've seen either of my grandchildren.  I miss them terribly.  The are my greatest joy.  Also miss baby C.  The lady who is filling in for me happens to be a friend of mine so she text me a picture of her today.  She will change so much in 6 weeks.  I can't wait to go back and care for her.  Hopefully she will be one of my visitors later on.


A couple of people asked this week about coming by.  I'd prefer we wait until next week because I'm still getting around kinda slow and I'm just uncomfortable being unable to shower and keep up with my hair.  I know you girls understand.  Next week should be much better though and I'd love to have company every day!  Seriously!


The picture is an x-ray after they had the leads in place before the placed the battery.  R asked me if I wanted to take a picture with my phone because he couldn't email.  You can see the paddle lead in center and two smaller on the sides of that one.


I'll be back soon.  





No comments: