Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Happy Cinco de Mayo wherever you are

Despite a horrible sleepless night, the day got better.  At first when D was making noise in the kitchen I didn't think there was any way I could make the beach today.  After i got moving and had coffee and my round of meds we packed up to head to the beach.  It was nice and pretty.  Huge waves today.  We saw a sand shark right on the edge of the water where people were swimming.  Apparently they were not afraid.


We've met some really nice people hear this trip.  Had some interesting conversations,  I took a swim in the indoor pool when we got back from the beach.  I haven't swam in 2 years and it felt good.  Good enough to ask D to take me back to Wal Mart after dinner to get some goggles so I could swim laps tomorrow.  Like riding a bike, you just don't forget.  He said ok, but I'm not going to Wal Mart every day of our vacation.  ( I have 3 pair at home )  Today I swam 4 and I used to swim 20.  So you don't forget how but you sure loose the stamina.  I won't over do it.  Makes me excited about getting this surgery over with so I can find a place to swim again.


After Orthopedic doctor sent me on to the rheumatologist and we didn't find anything I just kept taking care of myself until I couldn't stand it anymore and it was effecting my lifestyle.  This was time period of 06-09.  By myself I mean stretching, swimming, acupuncture, acupressure, and whatever reading I could get my hands on.  So I went back to the orthopedic to let him know that I'd done everything he'd asked and I'm still hurting.  ( I had also went to get second opinion from different orthopedic in between this time)  I waited a few weeks from the time I called to the appointment and guess what? Yeah, I need a new MRI.  WHY didn't you train your front dest peeps to ask for that when its a follow up after 2 years?  Ok, I told him, I'll go get your new MRI but don't make me wait another 2 weeks to see you.  He had me go down stairs and take it and fit me in the next Monday.  That was a Thursday.  See what you get when you have a BIG mouth.  My daughter was with me when I went back.  He said it looked much worse than 2 years ago time for surgery.  Oh, now you believe that's what is hurting me?  No, you have to have a discography.  A what?  Where you inject dye with a needle into the disc to make sure that is the disc that is hurting.  They had to make sure bc the one below didn't look so hot either.  OH yeah, you'll be awake and it won't be to pleasant because we need you to feel everything.  But after that the worst will be over.  I really don't care, at this point I'm not scared of anything, I just want to stop taking ibuprofen 6 times a day 3-4 at a time.  I know I must have an ulcer by now.  


The husband and I went to dinner that night to talk about it.  I still remember that so well.  His opinion was so important to me.  He thought I should do it.  If you were my dads age I would say no.  But your in your 40's and you still have a long time to go so I say let's go for it.  I scheduled the appointment with the anesthesiologist at a pain management clinic. D came with me and I remember filling about the forms thinking everyone here looks so pitiful I'm glad I'm going to have this fusion done and be fixed.  See, I started out POSITIVE.  He tired to convince me to try some injections first.  Who knows maybe it would have bought some more time but I'd only heard bad things about that and it wouldn't fix my problem any way.  I trusted my ortho doc, if he thought injection would help he'd have sent me there back in '06.  So I scheduled the discography.  That's where I'll end tonight and leave you with a picture of the beach.  GNA



No comments: