Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

It almost killed me :-(

We slowly made our way to the outlet mall this morning. Late morning.  D was up and ready to go by 9:00, but I was moving so slow.  I had to have breakfast and let my medicine kick in before I could even shower.  Did I say this already? I miss my bed.  Hit the Corelle store.  We saw some dishes there when we were here last October but didn't buy them.  After deciding for sure I really liked that pattern, I couldn't find them anywhere.  I checked Wal Mart, Target all those kind of places.  Found out why today.  That pattern has been discontinued and they had a few boxes so lucky us we got them for a lower price than others.


Then next on hubby's list was UnderAmour.  He bought a couple polos last trip and fell in love with the material and cool (weather cool) feeling.  I will say, he was shopping like a woman.  My back starting hurting me pretty bad standing in one place so I walked next door after he released me from color choice duty.
Maidenform was where I went.  I wanted to check and see if they had a nightgown that buttoned up all the way down.  After surgery I'm not supposed to lift my arms over head for sometime and I figure I'll be wanting to stay in something loose fitting first few days anyhow.  Haven't bought myself new pj's in sometime anyway. Surprisingly they had one, in my size and one on the clearance rack all most just like full price one for half price.  I actually liked them both.  Something I'll use after I'm better.  Made me feel better about spending the money!


By the time we were out of there I just couldn't do it.  I had to do something.  We went back to truck, I had brought my brace just in case and I'm glad I did.  I always put off wearing it at first because it looks so dumb.  But when the pain comes on, who cares?  So I put it on and found some shade and a table and D walked to Bass to look for some new sandals.  The second thing on his list for the outlet mall.  He's a good shopper.  Out he came with them 20 minutes later so proud of the sale he'd found.  60% off.  Nice leather, I like them.  I'm sure he'd liked to have looked at some other stores but I was hurting pretty bad.

2pm and no lunch yet.  Another reason to not want to be around me at that time.  But...we were near Pottery Barn and we just had to go in there.  I ate some yogurt and took my pain medicine and sucked it up.  Idk what was hurting worse my back or my legs.  We spent an hour in there but made some good purchases.  Who can complain when their husband is in the mood to buy some new things for the house?


It was 3:30 by the time we made it back to condo and I didn't know what I wanted first, heating pad/food?  Heating pad or food?  Omg, I need both at same time.  I put left overs in toaster oven to heat and jumped on heating pad.  Oh, it felt so good to pick my legs up and get the weight off of my back.
For those of you who don't know me, I'm not overweight.  I have gained some weight from when I was taking Lyrica.  I BIG side effect of that med.  Alll the pain people out there know about it.  I was taking it for leg pain.  As soon as that was under control I got off as soon as I could.  But the 4 months left me with an extra 20 pounds and I feel it.


An hour rest and some food and I was feeling so much better.  We sat on the dock at sunset and a dolphin popped up right close to us.  I saw some the other evening but I was much farther away.  I actually heard that lovely sound they make when they surface the water.  So glad the shopping is over.  So it's the simple things like going out for an hour or two that I want to be able to do.  SOme days I can, but it is not unusual for me to head out to run a couple of errands and do one and go home crying because I couldn't do two stores back to back.  Its gotten so old.  I want to paint my own toenails.  Sit down on the floor with my grandchildren and get up without someone helping me.  I'm 47.  Not 87.  I say that in my mind all the time.  I feel like I'm trapped in a 90 year olds body.  PLEASE let me out.  Back to the beach tomorrow.  Rain expected, may be the cause of the "extra" pain today.


When we were at the beach on Sunday they had a sign out.  It was really windy that day.  Only day we've seen the sign and only day we experienced the wind like that but it said not to swim in that area because of rip tides.  Twice while we were there durning the morning the life guard had to get people out of the water.  Kids, no less and their parents just chillin' on the sand.  Once blowing the whistle and waving his arm wasn't enough he had to go out into the water and keep blowing and waving his red floater around.  He asked the mom, " you have little ones out there?"  I couldn't hear what she said but I wanted to say, your question should have been, " can you read ENGLISH?"


Decided to skip back history tonight.  Just didn't feel like reminiscing about whats taken me so long to get here.  Gosh, you just don't know how bad I pray this works.  I figured y'all are getting tired of the "back story" any how.  
So I'll leave you with a picture of the sign at the beach and the life guard doing his job.  I noticed later that in my picture you don't see many people out there but there were quite a few in this particular spot.  The waves were kind of high.


I talked to my mom tonight.  I called to check on her because the last six weeks her leg has been really hurting her bad.  Keeping her from doing things she normally does.  So bad when she went to grocery store she used a motorized cart.  (that really tells me how much she was hurting)  Anyway she was sent to orthopedic after seeing her regular doctor.  They did an MRI a couple of days ago so thats what I wanted to see what she found out.  They were thinking sciatic nerve but MRI showed a bulging disc.  Damn it!  I don't want my mom to go through this.  I don't care if she is 20 years older than me.  She has spent her entire life taking care of other people.  I believe that will hurt her worse, to be down, than the pain she will experience.  I believe they've convinced her to do an injection on Friday.  She will tell me for sure tomorrow.  Please keep her in your prayers.  She said, don't worry I can still come and be with you.  I know mom, I always know I can count on you.  You've always put others first.


Tomorrow is 7 day mark.  YUCK!
GNA






No comments: