Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Rainy Wednesday

Today did not go as planned at all.  Awake most of the night hurting in the strangest
places.  Should have known rain was coming I just didn't think of that.  When I quit
fighting and got up to start the day I just couldn't do it.  It hurt to even walk on my feet.

Turned out it was a good day to cancel plans and stay home.  Dallas boy (dog) is quite
fearful of the bad weather.  We recently had to start sedating him when its a bad thunderstorm.
Let me clarify, it is a sedating tablet, but he's like his mommy, hard to put down.  It does
help calm him down.  He has kept prince charming and I away for 3-4 hours in the middle of the night before.

Another reason was today was the 1 year anniversary of my dads death.  Doesn't seem like it has been a year.  Wow, it has.  With the weather, my pain and my crazy manic dog I felt like it was a perfect mourning day.  Not a day to be out and about and like I said, my body was just not working with me.  I hope I feel better tomorrow because pain or not I have to go out to take care of some business and then come home and pack to leave Friday am.

Last night I wrote about 2005 and what was going on.  In 2006 I saw a different chiropractor (a friend of my husbands) to give that one more try.  The only time it wasn't really nagging me by then was when I was in the pool.  I guess because you are weightless I wouldn't feel that nagging weight, pressure and burning feeling that was hanging around even more and more.
I never really said to to many people at this point how bad it was but I was starting to realize that there were no more "good days"  

I had a cleaning job I did for extra money when I was single on the week ends.  It usually took me 2-3 hours.  I kept it after we were married because I enjoyed the "mad" money but by this time what was happening when I got home on Sunday I had to lay down for mostly the rest of the day.  I couldn't even clean my own house.  I was also cleaning the office at work on Friday mornings since we were closed on Fridays.  I hung on to that another 6 months or so but then I had to give it up also.  Same thing happened.  I'd be hurting so much that I couldn't do any personal errands or shopping I had to go home and use heat or ice to jump start my back again.

Then I broke down and did what people had been tell me to do.  Go see an orthopedic. I decided that 5-6 years was enough trying other things.  I made an appointment, which I would wait 3-4 weeks for.  I remember being hopeful that finally someone would tell me why my back hurt so bad.  I knew my husband was getting tired of hearing me say. "my back hurts".  I saw him, a lot of history taken then all he said was I need an MRI to see whats going on.  Lets get that done then I'll see you after that.  Ok, more waiting....two weeks later MRI appointment after for him to review.  I had a bad disc at L4/L5 that was bulging, but not bad he said.  Shouldn't be hurting you as much as you say.  So he recommended that I see a rheumatologist to rule out any autoimmune disease.  Obviously, he didn't find anything but I really liked him a lot. First doctor I saw that seemed to really care that I was dealing with pain on a day to day basis.  Every appointment he asked me to make I did and every blood work up he asked for I did.  I'm still seeing him today. (the rheumatologist, not the orthopedic)


During the time I was seeing him I was also still doing the acupuncture, no chiropractor and stretching.  Stretching every morning before work.  I had done a lot of research on line about how to heal your own back and stretching kept coming up.  I will say it kept me going for 2 years or so.  It didn't completely make the pain go away but a lot more manageable.  Cut back on the ibuprofen.  After my stretches my back would feel good for several hours so I was grateful for that. So....if you aren't  bored enough yet I'll fill you in tomorrow on what happened next. 




We miss you dad :-/

No comments: