Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

10 Days out

The days are dragging by but the good news is every day is better.  Yesterday the itching at incisions was a lot better.  Still needed the benadryl but it seemed to be helping now.  Bruising at the battery site is almost invisible and getting less and less tender as I lean back or rolling over in bed.  


My husband did a lot of work in back yard today.  So hard to just watch from inside.  I wanted to be out there digging in to help.  I haven't been able to do yard work for some time now.  Before D and I married I cut my own yard and I actually enjoyed it.  It gave me a good excuse to skip the gym, and get a little vitamin D while at it.  Yeah, I'd be paying after but not like the last 5-7 years have been.  A few ibuprofen and a hot bath and I'd be good to go again.  All I've been able to do since my back surgery is water and work with my pot plants.  As I said in previous posts D would put them up where I could reach for thinning or repotting.  I really hope when my wait is over that working in the yard is something I can do.  With hubby working out side most of day I was able to listen to music instead of tv and I sure enjoyed the oldies.  I wanted to put a picture of his work but he wants me to wait.....its not perfect yet! lol


I feel pretty useful today.  I made Dallas (dog) a blanket.  You know, the no sew fleece kind.  I'm always behind everyone else on easy craft things.  Apparently people have been making these forever and I just discovered it.  I like it, turned out ok.  Lets see how long it takes him to destroy!  He has to have a blanket to bury himself under but he also loves to chew on his precious blanket too.  We're not doing to bad, he will be 8 in October and we are on the third blanket.  He had the first one the longest.  


I'm reading a book titled "The Truth about Back Pain".  Written by a chiropractor.  His dad was a chiropractor as well that in his 50's I believe started having back pain.  In trying to heal his own self discovered a lot about what structural problems, chemical actions, and emotional stress can cause pain in many different areas of our body especially the back.  It is often misdiagnosed because this theory is not know by some doctors.  He notes that you can have a structural problem,(herniated disc) but the real cause of the pain may be a combination of two or three of the above mentioned.  He states its rarely one catastrophic event but several situations combining to create back pain (like the winds gathering to create a perfect storm). Any one of these factors or a combination thereof can be the one that catapults you into unbearable agony. His words.


When I read some of this I felt for the first time that someone I don't even know understands what I've been feeling.  He mentions at one point that if your about to have surgery to at least finish and try his diet and core strengthening before.  "What can it hurt?" he asks.  You can only come out better off and maybe get healthier while your at it.  If I had read 6 months ago I might have given it a try but its been way to long and a lot of what I've read as far as the stretches I've been doing for years.  I fully believe in that part of his reasoning. 


Having crawfish for supper.  We think this may be the last time we enjoy some.  The season will end early this year.  I've been about all day.  Only one 30 minute rest around 1.  I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is.  Not just because I had surgery 10 days ago but because for a long time now its been do a little, rest.  Do a little rest.  D wants to watch a movie so I need to wrap it up.  


Tomorrow morning he's going to Lowe's and Pet Smart.  Not to interested in either, but boy do I want to get out of the house.  I think if he'll help me wash my hair in the morning I'll tag along and see how I do.  Its really ok for me to go out just not supposed to get hot and of course its difficult to get in and out of car without twisting.  I just have to be careful.  It will be 6 weeks before I'm allowed to drive. Yuck, I hate that part!  Monday we will go to my daughter and son in laws for a short visit.  I'll get to see both grand babies, something to look forward to.  Yeah....  I'm hoping that visit will test my back pain because taking it easy around here is not.  


I hope everyone who travels this Memorial Day week end will have a relaxing and enjoyable trip and return home safely.  I understand a storm is a possible threat to FL?  
GNA Theresa


I think he approves!


No comments: